Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donaldson Top Spin

We get these 2-4 times a year during the summer.

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Gotta love those things lol. I haven't had any multi day storms like in the sandbox but I really don't want to experience those either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Haboob! lol oh man in those you just shut your motor off. We cut most of the generators too. Then all the douche bags walking around with shemaghs (scarfs) 24/7 trying to look SF, are suddenly the only ones prepared lol.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    Haboob! lol oh man in those you just shut your motor off. We cut most of the generators too. Then all the douche bags walking around with shemaghs (scarfs) 24/7 trying to look SF, are suddenly the only ones prepared lol.
    We had one in 2011 that seriously looked like it was used on the set of The Mummy lol. It hit like a train wreck. Yeah never did get the damn shemaghs. The gunners used them and I get that but I saw more of them on Leatherneck than anywhere else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

all the douche bags walking around with shemaghs
    Heyyy.... wait a minute....

I have a couple of Shemaghs.
    Not trying to look SF, and I never wear them, they are just in the gear bag.
    Should we ever get a dust stomr in TN, I will be ready....

...or apparently just be a douchebag. haha.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

lol nah its just a funny thing. Like Krypt said there's guys like gunners who they work well for; I just laugh about the guys who clearly think its a fashion accessory for walking around base with. I work with a few of the fashion types lol.

The arizona variety aren't nearly as bad as the real ones. Most of the time they only last 15 minutes and you can usually still see when you're driving. You should see all the people who freak about about them here, like it's the end of the world and if you drive through it you're going to die and take along a bus full of nuns. I had an argument with some people on the trip adviser forums about it once...those guys are some of the most "sky is falling" nancy's ever, right next to the pop up forum people.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2009/03/...e-snorkel.html

Id love to do it. the model he uses to fit off to the side like that and still open the hood, does not flow enough CFM for highway. He used a deckplate mod for road driving.
    Hey guys. Randomly saw the link in my Google tracking stuff so I thought I'd chime in. The Top Spin worked great for the years of mapping work I did where I was in sand/dust/silt all day every day at the full time job. In fact, if I ever saw visible dirt in my filter I looked for and found a leak in the air intake somewhere due to vibration or poor sealing on my part. Once sealed any gaps I wouldn't see dirt again on the filter for months and months.

I would say it restricted it a bit on road, but to this day my buddy Jon still uses his with no deckplate and no issues. I just felt that I was making it harder for the engine to breathe (and it's so under-powered already I didn't want to make things worse) just like putting on a snorkel with one of the foam filters pictured above due to the increased distance and restriction. Did it really restrict it much??? My butt meter said no, but maybe a little.
    Off road and at higher RPM's you could really see it spin FAST. In fact in snow offroading if some snow got into it I would see bits of snow mist thrown out the outlet hole of it quite a ways.

I sold the truck, but I sure loved that setup, no matter what it looked like. Also, it helped me cross the Verde River a few times, but I never wanted anything higher since at that height my interior would get sufficiently soaked already.

Have a good one!
    Tim

awesome! glad to see you on here. I have been eyeballing your snorkel for years lol! In fact I think I may have internet stalked all your comments on various forums regarding the set up.

What do you think of the new 150-250 cfm spintop? The topspin you use is much better suited for our engines. I'm just wondering if the trade off in filtering efficiency to gain better airflow would be minimal or catastrophic

Your friend that keeps it on 24/7...do you know what kind of MPG hit he sees or dosnt see?

awesome! glad to see you on here. I have been eyeballing your snorkel for years lol! In fact I think I may have internet stalked all your comments on various forums regarding the set up.

What do you think of the new 150-250 cfm spintop? The topspin you use is much better suited for our engines. I'm just wondering if the trade off in filtering efficiency to gain better airflow would be minimal or catastrophic

Your friend that keeps it on 24/7...do you know what kind of MPG hit he sees or dosnt see?
    If that's larger I would say it's not worth it. It only works when spinning and even at the size I had it would slow to a crawl at idle (when you don't need it too much). As soon as I accelerated it would take off. I fear that any less restrictive and it would take a much higher RPM to get it working properly.
    Not sure what he's getting. I think with trucks that are built it's best not to know! haha. I could still get 16.5mpg driving conservatively with it on. I don't think it was a measurable difference with it off. It just seemed to react a bit quicker. Maybe it was just getting are in a bit quicker, but once you're moving it shouldn't restrict it much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast