Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donaldson Top Spin

thanks for the quick reply and I apreshiate your info. I am leaning toward doing it now and ill update if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by SOAZ View Post
    If that's larger I would say it's not worth it. It only works when spinning and even at the size I had it would slow to a crawl at idle (when you don't need it too much). As soon as I accelerated it would take off. I fear that any less restrictive and it would take a much higher RPM to get it working properly.
    Not sure what he's getting. I think with trucks that are built it's best not to know! haha. I could still get 16.5mpg driving conservatively with it on. I don't think it was a measurable difference with it off. It just seemed to react a bit quicker. Maybe it was just getting are in a bit quicker, but once you're moving it shouldn't restrict it much.
    The getting air quicker makes sense in a way. Airflow causes the top spin to work so we are adding drag to the intake process vs. a free flow CAI or stock intake. Probably more accurately we are slowing the increase of air volume to the engine.

Another thought is that these are designed more or less for diesel engines and if there is one thing I have noticed its the way diesels Rev slower than gasoline. Now there's a ton more vacuum behind a diesel as well so that would affect the top spin too.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So the pipes and junk all seem straight forward. This piece is a bit weird with the shape but it sounds like 3" flexible anything will seal up nice. Probably should measure the circumference

or maybe run a silicon elbow through the fender to hook onto the air box itself. The stock elbow is a particularly hash bend. I haven't been in there to look for clearance but I would image it doesn't have to be as bad.

this place sells the silicone couplers, pipes and things. I dont think there price is that great but gives you an idea of whats out there.
    http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index...dbd0dbd935e9ed

stole some more images. looks like keeping the stock elbow is not necessary and with that bend its possibly not desirable.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...l-build-2.html

shows the 3" pvc fittings inside the 3rd gen fender on this custom intake

plenty of room for even PVC.

Wow that's a lot of room in the fender! If I can do it with pvc I might just do this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Lucky it's all based on 3" pipe and that's common. I've seen aluminum intake pipe, steel exhaust and pvc. Prices are not bad for the amount we need in any of those materials just gotta pick what's going to work the best. I can see pvc shattering from a rock in the cold but I also see that as unlikely. The other two may dent. Steel might rust from the sand blasting it will get in there but it's going to resist denting better.

Use black ABS. It should be better with low temperatures, and actually with high temps as well. You should have no problem finding it in 3" Sch 40, along with all the fittings.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I just read some info that complicates the pvc. To attach the Donaldson you need 3" outside diameter pipe. 3" pvc is actually 3.5" OD. The inner can still be pvc but the stack will have to be metal

What I would do with the stack then is use a step down made out of silicone. I do believe I saw a 3.5 to 3.0 adapter with spectre performance on Amazon and then you would just need a small 2" piece to go from the adapter to the top spin. At least that's one way to skin the cat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Post up what you find for a diameter of the air box inlet. I'm leaning toward aluminum right now since my tire wont fling rocks that close in with the long travel. Depending on that diameter, I am thinking 3" 90 deg silicone elbow ---> ~2 foot 3" straight pipe ----> 3" silicone hump coupler ---> 3" L shaped pipe. I think the solid L pipe will give me more ways to secure the stack.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast