Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Death Valley 20141010-12

(DATE CHANGE) Northern Death Valley 20141024-26

We've covered the southern end and sampled its highlights. Its time to tackle a good portion of the rest in a high tempo all out assault. Expect long days and lots of miles over easy terrain. There are three passes we must go over that will be more of the slower technical DV driving we are used to. Other then that its well maintained dirt roads so the miles per hour is hard to figure out. Shorter routes are planned in case we come up short, but all pictures and video point to safe traveling at a quick pace. I intend for sunday to be a early day even if the race track playa has to be cut from the menu (I doubt it will come to that).

"A venturesome minority
    will always be eager to set off on their own,
    and no obstacles should be placed in their path;
    let them take risks, for godsake,
    let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned,
    eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
    that is the right and privilege of any free American."
    --Edward Abbey

Difficulty: 3 trail-rating Google steel pass if you are concerned.

Communication:
    CB channel:14
    FRMS/GRMS channel:15 (bring two radios to share with a CB equipped rig)
    2M HAM: UY simplex primary 146.430MHZ
    Monitor 146.520 MHz (National Simplex Freq)
    70CM HAM: UY/UE simplex secondary 435.000MHz Please have this programed into radio prior to trip
    Monitor 446.000 National FM Voice Simplex Calling Frequency
    Repeters:
    I dont think there are any

Itinerary:
    DAY1
    leaving Ryolite ghost town at 900am after exploration
    Lead field Ghost town Home of the crystal cave (its locked though)
    Titus canyon
    Scottys Castle
    (there is probably time for a tour if someone wants to but I was thinking of just seeing the grounds and outside)
    Ubehebe Crater
    Camp at mine

Day2
    Tea kettle junction Bring a tea kettle if you want
    Race track Playa
    liptoncott pass
    get your 4-Low on
    Saline valley hot springs for a shower and soak (Yes there are naked people there and no I will not be one of them)
    marble bathtub
    Steel pass
    <---Hardest trail we will see.

day 3
    Eureka dunes These are "singing" dunes. Optional hike in the morning to set off the sound effect on a steep part.
    Exit to Big Pines

Travel times:
    Its a long one but similar to the Panimint trips
    Palmdale to friday morning start point 4 hours https://goo.gl/maps/xfVd6
    Victorville to friday morning start point 4 hours https://goo.gl/maps/cZPdq

Requirements:
    -Working reliable Truck. This is not a recovery run. Towing can cost upwards of 1k
    -Truck capable of washboard for hours on end without loosing bolts
    -Extra fuel to take you more then the required miles.
    -4x4
    -32" tires or greater
    -AT or MT tires for rock protection. C, D, or E rated only. No P rated. No exceptions
    -Tire plugs Guaranteed to have one or more flats for the group on this run
    -Spare tire within 3" of other tires
    -Tools
    -Recovery points front and rear
    -tow strap without hooks
    -Clothing/food/water/fuel for Three days in a desert environment (remember the nights could be cold)
    -first aid kit.

Recommended:
    -33" tires or greater
    -Flashlights for mines
    -wood for camp fire (not 100% certain of having a fire)
    -Spare air filter
    -favorite beer.
    -solid blue marbles for the bathtub. (These are always going missing)
    -piston for Piston point, tea kettle for Tea kettle junction( these are well represented at most times, but if you want to add to them you can)

Fuel requirements:
    200-220ish miles from Beatty to the next gas station in big pine.

Camping requirements:
    Primitive camping. Pack it in/Pack it out.

Weather info and conditions:
    http://www.nps.gov/deva/loader.cfm?c...&pageID=682539
    Death Valley National Park Ranger Station (760) 786-3200
    Death Valley National Park Emergency Dispatch (888) 233-6518

for camping purpose the limit is 4 vehicles. :
    1. Troy
    2. Mike
    3. JD
    Last edited by troyboy162; 06-28-2014 at 01:17 AM.

itinerary updated. Its a tall order so days are likely to be full. Theres not as many things to see on the northern end and they are spaced far apart. Of the main attractions up there I cant say any are truly optional, so it puts the miles into this trip in a hurry.

Check your tires! Its going to take good ones to make it!

oh and dust spacing will be key with call outs for stops. Collisions do happen out there!

Expect speeds of 50 MPH in sections like this:
    (Note the washboard)

So that we can take our time when it turns to this:

This is a rough outline of the route. The color codes were supposed to show the days mileage but its already outdated
    Last edited by troyboy162; 05-24-2014 at 04:06 AM.

I was about to jump right in to say "I'M IN!!!" But then I looked at the calendar and realized that's our first wedding anniversary, so no, I'm definitely not in. (And no, as cool as Victoria is, she's not going to want to spend our first anniversary driving around the desert)
    I will, of course, be monitoring this thread, not just to drive myself crazy, but on the off-chance that dates happen to change.

We can work something out. The dates are never hard set on these trips. I just did some more research that makes the route alot more doable. The first day has 80 miles on pavment and we can stretch out alot further before sun down. That makes the second day much less do or die lol. Really we could even skip the cabin and head all the way in to Beatty NV and gain another hour of daylight on the first day....things to discuss as we get closer.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 05-24-2014 at 04:04 AM.

I'd love to do it, but I think it is a bit beyond my capability right now. Next time maybe?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

is it the distance? I keep tinkering with the route. If we omit crankshaft junction, lost burro mine, and hunter mountain area, we can drop all 20 miles of the only REAL washboard and knock 40 offroad miles total off the trip. Literally there's not anything else up there but the "crank shaft junction" sign. This alternate route cuts hunter mountain area as well and I was hard pressed to find anything of significance there other then just pretty terrain.

I go back and forth but the prize of covering 100% of the north end in a epic loop may be out shined by things like time enough to soak at saline springs lol. That place is nice!

This is the alternate route in purple. Cuts alot of the fat and still covers everything i really wanted to see. Its just not the tour of all the road up there like the other one.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 05-25-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Right now, I know my suspension is not capable. New shocks are scheduled for sometime towards the end of next month, and I think I have more than a couple of bushings that need replacing.

I also think my engine and trans mounts are no longer doing their job. Any acceleration causes pretty large movements in my shifters.

I am also not sure that most of the bolts in the truck would stay where they should be after the washboards!

I'll keep this in mind, but it doesn't look promising right now. 10% maybe.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

hmm I have movement but only in 4 low. 2wd they dont move much.

I had concerns over the washboad too. Everywhere you read makes it sound like washboard hell. The more I researched its just two spots where normal cars go so there is enough traffic to create them. The worst is between ube... crater and crankshaft junction. The speed limit is 20mph for 20 miles of arrow straight dirt road. Trucks and SUVs are reported doing 80mph often. I would imagine this is to stay on top of the bumps. The other spot is between ube and the racetrack. This one looks fairly bad, but is also navigated by toyota camerys by more daring people then myself. Rangers report that road as taking 2 hours due to the bumps, but trucks are only taking an hour at a causal pace.

I'm not too worried about the washboard now since it looks to be only issue for cars. That and the routes I'm looking at quickly take us where the cars cant go so we'ed be back in normal trails within a hour.

Sounds good. I'll keep an open mind, but I think getting a day off will be difficult. If I did, I would have to work extra the week of and the week after.

As for the shifter movement, it is concerning. I'll have a look when I get under the truck again, hopefully sooner than later.

I've read plenty about that washboard and I guarantee that nobody ever airs down for that road. I'm betting with our aired down tires, we'll have absolutely no problem with it.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast