Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Death Valley 20141010-12

Well, apparently the rains have struck again and the entire Scotty's Castle area is closed due to "millions of dollars" in flood damage. At the moment, the park is saying it's going to take months to fix but I'll continue to monitor the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think with the expected rains this year, it is going to make it very challenging to do much preplanned desert exploring.

Either we will need to be incredibly flexible dates and locations, or be willing to cancel a day before.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Agreed. Sean, do you need to do any prerunning for the Mojave trip? It seems like that area hasn't been getting hit too badly with rain (then again, I haven't been paying attention) and we're going to need to to have an alternate lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This coming trip will be virtually identical to 2014. I will have alternate routes if our route is blocked.

As for rain, they've been getting hit pretty good all summer.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 10-20-2015 at 09:10 AM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Just coming to post about that but you guys are way ahead of me. I don't have a full grasp on the closures but the road to the mine on Wingate rd in panamint vallay should be open regardless of conditions since they are a operating mine. That opens up the pleasant canyon loop...not ideal, but a solid plan C or D lol

I agree we should have a back up route for the weekend if those roads are impassable due to previous rains. If it rains that weekend, I vote to postpone or cancel. I rather not drown in 10 feet of mud.

We got smashed pretty good out here. I was almost on the 58 when that whole bad day happened. I had gotten back a day prior. I concur on the postponement even though it will make it unlikely for me to go. You don't know what you'll run into out there right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

hit the cabins if its raining! I will graciously donate these moonshine cherries that Sean didnt eat from the coyote trip lol

Nooooooo!

those were bad news. Especially when they started to taste ok lol.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast