Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Death Valley 20141010-12

Good point! We are better prepared and more experienced then most who travel the easy roads out there. Saline valley road coming from the north is described as a hell road. In the pictures it doesn't even look notable for 4x4.

I researched today about a death valley secret we will be going by. Crystal cave in Leadfeild! Its a weird tale of a mine breaking into a natural cave filled with crystals; Looting of the crystals, and eventually the park sealing it off in 1951. Theres no marker or mention of it anywhere in the park service stuff. Good old high desert magazine (excellent mine research) covered the closer and has some interior pictures http://www.scribd.com/doc/2403386/19...-1951-November

I drove the stretch from the crater to the racetrack in less then an hour. The road is washboard, but not bad at all. I did 35-45 on it and just floated over everything. I wasn't aired down. Unless conditions have changed drastically since I was there a year ago, you guys shouldn't have any problems doing that stretch in 45-60 minutes. The rangers told me that people get flats out there all the time, so just keep an eye out for cars on the side of the road (I didn't see any though).

Saline Vally Rd is terrible. There is a trail from the Racetrack to Saline Valley Rd called the Lipencot (sp?). I heard mixed reviews about Lipencot, so I opted out and backtracked from the Racetrack to Teakettle Junction, then headed down through Hidden Valley and South Pass. Some sandy sections, but beautiful drive and easy. Some old mines along the way as well.

I picked up the Saline Valley Rd at South Pass and headed North. The section of Saline Valley Rd near South Pass is very rocky, with rocks about the size of basketballs, maybe larger. This rocky section is pretty long and took a while for me to get through (maybe an hour? Don't remember) I did use 4wd here, but I wasn't aired down. I did see a stock T-100 and a Dodge with Slide-In camper going through, so it should be easy for you guys. Just slow. The rest of Saline Valley Rd is just heavy washboard and washes (edit: and lots of rocks embedded in the road!). Can't go fast over the washboard though, because every hundred feet or so, there was a wash or large rut across the road. I took the road all the way up to Joshua Flats Road and probably averaged about 20-25mph on the road. I still managed to get airborne a few times. The road takes too much attention to be able to enjoy the surrounding scenery.

One of the rangers told me the section of the park around Big Pine Road was his favorite. I never made it up there though.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 05-26-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Perfect! thanks Dan for the first hand account. Sounds like some fun times ahead!

perfect. Mike from UE can make that one too. I should still be home, but as always its up in the air. I'm looking forward to this one!

First post cleaned up and Itinerary tightened down. I hate going to Rylolite for the first night but it really helps out the next two days. The loss is not being able to see Stove pipe wells and devils corn field during the day, but those two spots aren't that amazing.

I just got put on 3rd shift at work but the good news is this trip should be good to go. I'll try to update things over the next few weeks

3rd shift? Who did you piss off?!

Obviously I'm not going, have fun and take lots of pictures!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Its my turn in the barrel lol.
    You might be ready in time. I guess you'll know soon.
    I'll be a zombie out there but it will be fun

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast