Thread: Hole In Heater Box

Hole In Heater Box

So, its a 2006 silverado work truck. Some IDIOT decided that because the fan wasnt working on speed 3 and 4 they would KICK the box under the dash. Which in turn probably worked b/c the plug is right there.

Well the idiot put a hole/crack in the box. Now with AC season upon us it leaks terribly with condensation depending on how long the AC is on and how you drive. I tried plastic welding it using a piece of wire mesh 2x now and covering that with universal plastic. Today I cut it off and noticed another crack I had previously missed, so I RTV that and plastic weld again. STILL LEAKS!

Im thinking I need to cut it all off and use fiberglass, IDK what else to do and a new box isnt gonna happen-its alot of work to replace!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

No ideas?

Fiberglass?

Can you figure out what plastic it is? That will go a long way in figuring out what to do to fix it. Plastic will be labeled with >ABS< or >PP< or some other letter and some times number combo. It should be cast into the housing somewhere, let's just hope it's somewhere you can read.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ill have to see. I think its ABS honestly.

What I think is happening is although i sealed it as best I could b/c it was a hole of about an inch square and I used wire mesh to fill it, its still gonna leak due to that fact.

Get yourself some black ABS fittings, whatever is cheapest, a step drill, a glass jar, and can of MEK. use the step drill to create abs shavings, drop them in the jar with a little bit of MEK and let them dissolve. Adjust quantities to make a pretty thick paste, one that is about the consistancy of toothpaste or peanut butter. apply liberally to cracks, but cover the carpets first so they don't get stained. A blow dryer on low will speed up the curing.

Search for my thread on plastics for more info. but that should get you started.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Kydex. Get some kydex sheets and use gel type superglue to patch it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thats an idea.

I sitll cant figure out why the plastic and metal mesh isnt working unless Im somehow not covering enough of the metal and leaving holes but it doesnt look like there are any.