Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lithium jump packs to save the day?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lithium jump packs to save the day?

Have you guys seen these? They are small portable hard drive sized units with enough power to jump start your truck a few times on a single charge.

heres the main seller:
    http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/
    I see there are quite a few others on the market as well and they all seem to contain the same flashlight optic and similar features. Its a Chinese product being re-sold by the American company so the "clones" may in fact be the same guts. Some apparently come with different cells though. I believe the micro-start has lipos and one of the clones has Lifepo4. Both of those have pro's and cons so its just a choice I'd say.

This video shows you a guy doing this a few years back with just a hobby lipo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflMpvM21Pk

They look pretty handy for the money ($80-140) and the things I like so far are:
    -smaller and lighter then a good set of jumper cables
    -using fairly robust/dependable technology (id think cell failure rate would be low)
    -Priced similar or lower then most lead/acid jump packs
    -requires charge only twice per year
    -Charge your cell phone too in the event of dead car battery.

Cons I can see would be:
    -low AH rating on them compared to true dual battery set up.
    -at least one manufacture requires removal after vehicle start withing 10 second meaning its not shielded from the alternators charging current (lipos cant be charged incorrectly or they catch on fire)

Seems like a nice new middle ground between clunky large lead acid jump packs and the 100% redundancy of secondary battery set ups.

That's pretty cool! I'd be curious to see how well they work.

I hate carrying around my lead acid jump pack. It's so odd shaped and seems like it is always in the way.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

There's a big thread about them on t4r.com (I think) and the Antigravity is the popular one. In fact, I picked one up last week and put it to use not 2 hours after opening up the package. Worked like a charm!

sweet! apparently you can weld with three of them tied together lol

The Antigravity comes in a nice binder, with a ton of additional plugs to charge iphones and other things. Pretty handy kit, but I'm considering ditching all of that to make the kit much more compact in my truck.

200amps? That aint gonna jumpstart your truck if its dead, maybe a small car but not a truck that needs 700-800cca. Maybe if it wasnt drained down very far, but your not jumping something you left the lights on overnight with this all to easily.

My jump pack has 1700 peak amps and about 500cca!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

they are 200 sustained and 400 peak. the real life rating they have is up to 4.0L gas engines and less for diesel . I would have not figured it would work either, but there are lots of youtube videos about it now.

here is is on a 5.7 hemi. You can hear it throws over with a little less gusto but does respectably
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXk9bBkAdr8

Yup, the car I did it on was a 4 cylinder (no idea what size) but it started right up. Lots of stories on t4r about V8's and even diesels being started with it, too.

A diesel? Seriously? Diesels with 2 batteries were talking about like a ford powerstroke?? My boostpack wont even jump a dead powerstroke, I gotta hook the truck to one batt and the booster to the other..

Being int he towing industry tells me these little things wont stand up to abuse, good to have laying around for the DIY but aint no way they would hold up daily. Im just skeptical really, seems almost too good to be true.
    Last edited by CJM; 06-16-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast