Thread: Oil catch can

Oil catch can

So im gonna do this mod, I noticed either its because I switched to a different oil since Im now running shell rotella 15w-40 vs mobil clean 5000 (or is it super 5000 or whatever it is now) that my intake tube and air filter were FULL of oil. I had not checked the air filter in awhile and I had to throw it out. Airtube was full of oily residue as was the intake and the MAF.

I notice this is all coming from the stupid line coming off the back of the motor and the pcv valve seemed fine. I replaced everything but I need to do the catch can. Anyone buy just the simple oil/water separator for an air compressor? and plub it into the back line?
    Last edited by CJM; 06-18-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I was thinking about doing this mod actually. A guy did it over on tacomaworld. He had the 3rz in his tacoma but it was in fact a fuel/water separator from a generator (kobalt iirc) and pretty much did exactly what you are describing.

Honestly though I checked my intake and I did not have any residue at all so if i ever do find it i might consider this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 06-19-2014 at 06:00 AM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Messing with the emissions system by installing a catch can will give you an instant fail on your CA emissions inspection (not sure where the OP lives), but if you want to use OEM parts to make it a little more stealthy, use one from a Volvo 850 Turbo. It costs $33, has tabs for mounting, an inlet and outlet, as well as a third fitting that would allow you to return the oil to the crankcase (just cap this one).

It's the black box in the pic.

In other news, don't buy a Volvo 850. The pre-1994 740s and 940s were excellent cars, not the case with anything newer.

Oil catch can

Nah I'm in New Jersey they don't even pop the hood. No cel an your good to go
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX