Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correct battery size for 1996 - 2002 4Runners (V6) can be either Group 35 or 24F

24F in almost everything. The safest way to know is LOOK AT THE BATTERY TRAY. If you have a 35 in there and there is extra space on the left and right side of the battery, then you should have a 24F in there.

Those measurments are not 100% exact... at my work our 35 is actually a tiny bit taller than our 24F.

As for 27F... pretty much all the 2nd gen V6 Tacomas, 4th/5th gen V6/V8 4Runners are coming with 27F, especially with the tow packages. The cranking amp difference between the 24F and 27F generally isn't big (700-24F, 710-27F), the biggest difference has to do with the reserve capacity for electronic brakes (for towed vehicles).

When in doubt, size up the battery tray.

Source: been doing it professionally for 11+ years
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

I find sometimes the factory puts a smaller than average battery in a vehicle anyways, Ive seen nissans that called for a 24f but had 35's and hondas with a 51r but had a 35 plastic cover on them, the battery tray of camry can fit a 24f but the 4cyl did come with a 35.

When in doubt I always put the larger battery in if it fits.

A terminal from an audio shop would be ideal, not cheap by any means but worth it. I have one of those cheapo ones on my negative cause it broke last time I swapped batts. Works fine but could be better.
    Last edited by CJM; 07-06-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    I find sometimes the factory puts a smaller than average battery in a vehicle anyways, Ive seen nissans that called for a 24f but had 35's and hondas with a 51r but had a 35 plastic cover on them, the battery tray of camry can fit a 24f but the 4cyl did come with a 35.

When in doubt I always put the larger battery in if it fits.

A terminal from an audio shop would be ideal, not cheap by any means but worth it. I have one of those cheapo ones on my negative cause it broke last time I swapped batts. Works fine but could be better.
    When it comes to wire I stick with knukonceptz.com and I don't work for them. I can twist their 0ga in a 1.5in circle and the wire is very high quality. Well worth the change imo. Best to only spend it once. They also have some trick items like flat wire and other stuff. Sometimes it just makes projects that much easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

a little off topic but does anyone know a good extended Positive terminal? I wouldn't mind a little more wiggle room on my positive cables without too much effort. I extended the fuse box cable but its the actual cable from the alternator that needs to be a bit longer.

Ive seen this below, but extending the alternator cable would be about as easy. I'm hoping to be a little more lazy lol.

Personally I would say the extended terminal idea is kinda dangerous. I hate having anything exposed on the positive side just on the outside chance that something that contacts it is grounded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I've had a smaller than stock battery in my 4Runner for 5 years now. I had to move the battery from the stock location when I installed the York compressor. It's on the same fender but rotated 90*. I ditched the battery tray and use a thin rubber mat under the battery along with a custom hold down.

When I rotated the battery I had to extend both cables so nothing was pulled tight. I thought about extending the posts like Troy posted but thought the new cables were good piece of mind considering the age of the vehicle. I use a Kicker branded positive post clamp. The thin stock one broke years ago and I liked the Kicker model because it had two additional spots for accessory wires. It's nice and clean and has a covered top.
    http://www.kicker.com/Brass_Hardware_0
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 07-07-2014 at 07:54 AM.

I extended the positive terminal when I installed my battery several years ago. As long as you carefully insulate everything it works really well. There are some pictures in the following article.

http://wwww.blankwhitepage.com/autom...um-p-4-battery

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Mike, although its a smaller battery its more powerfull than a group 24F b/c its an agm setup and specialty vs a regular 35 series.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12