Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the current state of your 4Runner?

What is the current state of your 4Runner?

I haven't seen some of you for a while, and certainly haven't seen the current state of your 4Runners, in particular, Lance, Chris, Matt, etc.

Mine has not changed at all in the past 2-3 years. I switched to Sequoia wheels when it was time for new tires, but not much else. No issues to speak of, but I have a small list of things I should do to it, such as preventative lower ball joint replacement, flush the power steering, radiator and clutch fluid, and it could really use a new head unit that has 20th century features like a USB port and bluetooth.

It's a joy to drive, and I honestly couldn't wish for anything else. Today's SUVs have lost their offroad heritage (like the Pathfinder) or have quality/durability issues like the 5th gen. I have learned first-hand with our two new cars that all of the complicated systems on-board make them damn near impossible to diagnose or modify. My biggest pet-pieve to date....these damned electronics where the relays are integrated into the circuit boards! I can't even mod the DRLs or do a "fog light anytime mod" on our two new cars because what used to be a wire and relay has been replaced by a circuit trace and board integrated relay! Thankfully, Generations 1 through 4 of the 4Runner have none of this crap. I love modern day conveniences but some of those luxuries are causing me heartache in the first year of car ownership on our other cars. Don't get me started on tpms, no spare jacks/spare tires, or touchscreens that won't let you put an address into the nav if you're moving.

What is the current state of your 4Runner? What is on the list for wants and needs?

Last I heard, Lance is undergoing gender reassignment surgery, thanks to a special Obamacare clause. I hear the #1 choice of name will be "Lancita" (pronounced Lan-seeeta). You think this is a bad thing, but Obama personally called Lance and said he can still keep his own doctor to do the surgery. I knew that community organizer wasn't such a bad guy!

BREAKING NEWS: Post-op surgery pic. I think things went swell, fellas:

My truck hardly gets driven. I drive it mainly on the weekends just to keep the battery charged and the fluids flowing. It's been a lot of maintenance in the past two years or so, but things have definitely calmed down. I paid a mech to do some of the fluid replacements b/c quite frankly, this old goat is getting tired of doing maintenance stuff. I pay people now to do the dirty stuff. However this past two weekends, I changed out the front O2 sensor to pass smog (I was reminded about what a b###h this was b/c of the top mounted harness) and also did some wiring clean up in the interior. My next task is to rewire the e-locker. Yes that thing I spent so much time installing, but have not used once (mainly b/c I've never been stuck and/or in an area where I needed it). A few years ago I had a parasitic leak. And like any salt of the earth Korean guy in a frustrating situation, I f####g tore everything 12v accessory out like a bomb tech gone mad. Well it did eliminate the parasitic leak! Anyways, yesterday I spent some time grabbing the wires from the e-locker install and plugging them back into the momentary switch. No go. I think a wire might be missing in the equation. I'll have to pull the lower panel off and possibly retrace the wires from the relays and also from the locker itself.

My 4runner needs a good bath too. I just don't give it the love it deserves. However, the paint is still in great shape (I give it a wax at least twice a year), the motor runs well esp after the injector replacement, and the suspension gremlins have FINALLY been exorcised since my mechanic secured a nut/bolt combination on the panhard.

Time to sell? I've contemplated this over and over and over again. I probably wouldn't get more than $4k for it though. Decisions, decisions.

I agree with alot of what Ken wrote above. If there's a case for keeping it, its that the 3rd gens are so ultra reliable, maintenance is very easy, and little intangibles like the manufacturer supports field service manuals.

I don't plan on doing any mods because my time to off road and do something about it has been negated by time and the Golf. If I take a trip to meet up w/ you guys on a car camping trip (you know, just to hang out, no off roading), I'm taking the 42mpg highway Golf to meet you vs the 17 (if I'm lucky) 4runner. I do want to refresh the faded black wheel arch mouldings, the Stubbs sliders, and the roof rack rails. But in the grand list of chit to do, that's way at the bottom unless I sell it.

I think the only thing I've done in the last year or so was install my BudBuilt skid plate. Things I need to do is a good wax/buff job, and I need to change the spark plugs. I'd like to change the diff, tranny, and tcase fluids too.

Part of me wants to do a lift, but I think I'll probably end up putting the money towards a newer vehicle. I would love a 100 series Land Cruiser/LX470, but may end up with a 4th or 5th gen, double cab taco, or maybe a GX470. That's all a couple years down the road.

Ken, I'm with you on all the new electronic gizmos. I think the only things I would like that my 4Runner doesn't have is a digital exterior temp gauge/compass and digital climate controls. Things like blind spot monitoring, automatic brakes, and lane departure warnings just seem to take all the skill out of driving.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I am DD mine now, about 50 miles per day round trip. I pulled the swingouts off in an attempt to gain a bit of MPG. I need to pull the roof rack but haven't due to a lack of storage space. Since blowing the 300 on the front diff, my funds for things like new shocks, timing belt kit, etc has taken a hit. I still have the horrible vibration that I can't pinpoint. Next week I will probably start rotating the spare tire through the truck to see if I can narrow it to a bad wheel/tire. I am almost at the point of buying a Craigslist set of newer take-offs to try out.

Today I hit 199930 miles. This week or next, I will roll over 200k. She is really starting to show her age, and I have been contemplating her replacement. In addition to fixing the above mentioned ills, she needs new engine and trans mounts, new U joints, new rear axle bearings, the paint is embarrassing, and the rear lift gate struts need replacing within the next year. I am casually looking at 100's, double cabs, late 4th gens, as well as a Pinz. Nothing serious though. I will likely keep the 4runner and dump a few grand into LT and several more into the engine, trans, and forced induction. It doesn't solve all of the problems of the 3rd gen, but it should make it more livable.

We are looking for a commuter car to buy in the next 6-9 months. Something new, I am sick of keeping old cars running constantly. Between the Focus and the Mazda 3 right now, but still looking.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

This thread has been a great read already. Bob, you kill me. You guys all need to move closer so we can sit around and poke fun at each other while enjoying evenings around the fire pit drinking beer and eating steak.

I can't believe you guys are thinking about replacing your 3rd gens with newer gas guzzlers. Seriously, in a few years, no one is going to be driving these things around anymore. In 2016 you'll be able to get a 150-200 mile Leaf or Tesla Bluestar for less than you pay for gas per month (like I do right now with my lowly 86 mile Gen 1 Leaf) and you'll have no interest in driving that 13 mpg 100-series around that you're still financing. Trust me on this. The secret formula is an EV for all sub-200 mile drives and your old, reliable, paid-for 4Runner for lifestyle and long trips.

Lance, I don't know what to say. You've let yourself go. I'm going to buy you a different bra.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 06-29-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Ken,

I'll be up there from Aug 1 to Aug 3. I'll email or message you on FB. I think I can sneak out on Sat, quick visit, and then head back to my mom's place.

Lance went wheeling once back in 2011... That's pretty much the whole story for those two goobers

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    Lance went wheeling once back in 2011... That's pretty much the whole story for those two goobers
    We need to at least do some camping at Mammoth...

I looked up there and it doesn't seem like there is much terrain compared to the rest of the 395. laurel lake and dundaburge lake are the only two and those aren't even that close together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast