Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Cleghorn run

Were you able to try sections you had trouble on before? I know the locker wasn't working but was it any easier having a second go-round at it?

Actually, I did tackle one section that I hadn't done before. Since we were solo, I didn't get too crazy, but there's one uphill that I was able to get up that I had never tried before, so that was fun.

nice! Bummer to hear about the locker. My arb had to come apart again too to be fixed.

Really Troy? What was wrong with it? I kept hearing stories about how bulletproof ARB's are, but this is the second time mine needs to come apart. First time was just a couple weeks after the install, where it just started puking diff fluid for no apparent reason.

No tech here, but I've never liked ARB's. I've seen them have to come apart far to often.

I'll run elockers, thanks.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I didn't word that response very well. It was on the initial install. I went to test it and it leaked air pressure. Mine was not preloaded enough and would leak air under torque causing the pump to continuously run. Its a common problem with installers that haven't done many arbs. I dont know much about diffs but It sounds like arbs need to be on the top end of allowable preload and any less can cause them to leak.

The arbs are strong in that they replace everything weak about a toyota carrier. The install is not easy though and the air actuators may need to be cleaned from time to time. In a pinch there is a way to remove the internals of the actuator so that the diff will lock to get you out of a tight spot (provided the actuator was the problem). Once you are set up and running correctly, you shouldn't have any more issues. It seems like the install bugs are sorta common with ARB where as the elockers are a factory part. Set up for them is just running 12v to a switch.

The jeep crowd has cable actuated lockers available. I would think that was the best of both worlds but I have read they have there issues too.

Now I'm debating whether to bring it back down the road to the original installer in the hope that he gets it right finally and doesn't charge me an exorbitant amount or to bring it all the way out to Corona to have Yotamasters do it right.

I'm sure this isn't brand new but I know Chilkat makes the cable mod for the elocker which is pretty slick. Kinda steep but then again no one else has a design either.

http://www.chilkatdesigns.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

How did it go? Was your installer helpful?

Haven't made it over there yet. Next week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast