Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB or Borrow: 4 16" - 17" Toyota 6x5.5" wheels and tires - SoCal

WTB or Borrow: 4 16" - 17" Toyota 6x5.5" wheels and tires - SoCal

Looking to figure out if my wheels and tires are causing some vibrations. I am looking to buy or borrow a set of wheels and tires.

Wheel diameter needs to be 16-17 inch.
    Tires in serviceable condition. Need to drive 100 miles or so. not larger than 33" diameter.

I know I might need to buy wheel spacers for the front to fit over the brakes and to clear the UCA. I am just sick of having this vibration and this seems to be the most economical way of eliminating the wheels and tires as the culprit.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Since you have already rotated the wheels have you tried taking out your rear drive shaft? In 4low you should be able FWD and a short run up to 55-60 shouldn't hurt it too much. Whats 4low rated for?..45mph?

why not 4 hi? or is that not kosher with the tcase? seems like I remember reading something about that, but then again, maybe not.

I think while I am looking, I am going to rotate the spare through the vehicle. See if I can isolate it to one particular wheel, although it doesn't feel like just one wheel, and they have been rotated around. Unfortunatly, I can't put any kind of a dial indicator on the wheels to see if they are out of round because of the weld seam. I guess it might give me an indication of a big bend, and I do need a good reason to buy a dial indicator and base...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

In 4hi I'm almost certain the TCase diff would just spin like a one tire fire burn out, at least with the jshift cases. 4low locks the center diff and should allow you to drive.

I'd think if it was a tire/wheel you would have been able to isolate where its coming from in how it behaves at least front/back or left/right.

oh and I would mark the bolts and bolt holes so you could mount the drive shaft right back up like it was. I know the slip splines must be marked if you take it apart, but I would think mounting it back to the same bolts would be desirable if its not the vibration problem.

Pretty sure 4low would be a bad idea over 15-25mph, I know mine dont like do it happily you can REALLY feel the low low low gearing and engine winding out lol.

haweka (sp) adapter used to balance them tires sean?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Gave up on wheel weights and went to air soft. I can feel when a tire goes out of balance, and when they redistribute. This vibration is more or less constant.

This vibe is only above 40mph.

I don't think there is any diff in the tcase, there was in the later models with selectable awd/4wd

learn something new everyday lol. Well that should make things easier! Rip that driveshaft out and see what happens. I'd put money in a drive shaft rather then a tire/wheel combo that cant be diagnosed by butt feel

I'll get up early and give it a try. I'm desperate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast