Thread: Memory foam bed any good?

Memory foam bed any good?

Time for a mattress, or so I've been conned to believe by the "Your mattress is freeeeee!" guy. I'm wanting to buy a new bed frame too, matching furniture be damned. I had a memory foam (forget the type) mattress topper that I've used on my futon and I loved to sleep on it b/c it was firm but squishy enough. Now I read that there's newer types of soft mattresses that have gel in them that keep the beds cooler in the summer and warmer in the winters.

Do any of you guys have foam mattresses? If yes, i would love to hear opinions.

We have an inexpensive mattress from a box from Costco. Less than 600 dollars and it's darn comfy. It has the cooling gel but it's still a bit warm like the original memory foam. Not bad for the price. If you go for a "real" mattress you will probably be more satisfied. Having it come in a box the size of a large mini fridge makes moving it into the house easier though. Ours sits on a bed frame I made from 2x4 and plywood to maximize our space underneath and our dollar. Similar bed frames were at least 200 and I spent 50 on everything.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

sean,
    thanks for the feedback. i may just go with a tradition mattress w/ a squishy topper. i read some things last night that definitely turn me away from buying a foam mattress.

What sort of things? You get what you pay for, but the relationship is not linear. I don't think a 5000 dollar mattress is 10 times better than a 500 dollar one.

I've had a memory foam mattress for over 10 years. With shoulder problems and a bad back, it's the only choice for me. I have such a hard time sleeping on a spring mattress even with a topper.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I had a $600 Cal king memory foam mattress. It did break in and got softer then I wanted, but I just didnt order one firm enough to start with. It was a blind order online. It was worth 600 for sure and may very well go back in to service over the 2k air bed I bought just 3 years ago.

Got suckered into a Serta iComfort by my wife.
    More than I wanted to pay for a mattress, but what can you do? I believe ours is the Genius EverFeel Model. I was worried about the firmness at first, but the top layer has given way very slightly and it has been an extremely comfortable mattress.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    What sort of things? You get what you pay for, but the relationship is not linear. I don't think a 5000 dollar mattress is 10 times better than a 500 dollar one.

I've had a memory foam mattress for over 10 years. With shoulder problems and a bad back, it's the only choice for me. I have such a hard time sleeping on a spring mattress even with a topper.
    chief complaints from this website called sleeplikethedead.com:

- gets hot
    - odor
    - doesn't last as long
    - doesn't meet expectations of comfort vs purported benefits over a traditional spring mattress

i'll just have to try it out myself. i like my current mattress's firmness, but like i mentioned, its old (15 yrs).

I have a mattress from the original mattress factory and I believe we paid 1000 for it 10 years ago. We got one of their deluxe pillow tops. Great mattress and it has survived two military funded moves (aka kicked around like the package ace ventura delivers)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf