I was very pleased with the way this project turned out as well as relieved. I will try to update with pics to show the wear of the paint but if it has been a while....just ask me for a pic and I will be happy to supply one of the current state.

http://www.monstaliner.com/

This is the stuff I decided to paint my 98 4runner in. I live out in the desert and my Anthracite Metallic paint was getting eaten up by the sandstorms where I am stationed in 29 Palms CA. My insurance refused to do anything even though I was assigned out here instead of out here by choice. Anyway for about 650-700 bucks I was able to paint my 4runner in Monstaliner.

Supplies:
2 Gallon Monstaliner Tintable Kit $260
1 16 oz container of 1a1 Anthracite Metallic Toyota Paint $90
Walcom Shultz bedliner gun (available on Monstaliner's site) $55
Plastic painter's apron $20 (get a big roll. Amazon has it for cheap)
Green Painter's tape $15 (I know I used blue...it was a PITA!!)
Acetone or MEK $6
Measuring cups $5
Measuring bucket $6
Rags
Black plastic trash bags

Tools Needed:
Torx set (for the top racks)
Adjustable Wrench (windshield wipers
Phillips Screwdriver (rear brake light)
Razor Blades
Respirator
Air Compressor and pressure regulator
Power drill (for mixing)

First a few fun facts and tips.

If you are doing a stock toyota color and it is a metallic you must spray it or the metallic will not suspend in the paint resulting in funny looking paint (according to Monstaliner).

Ensure you spray outside or in the garage but there has to be ventilation. Otherwise this stuff will really mess you up for a little while. I had ventilation and a respirator and I think I slayed a few brain cells.

Take your time taping!!! and remove the tape IMMEDIATELY after you are done spraying or rolling. The wetter the better. This stuff is poly-urethane and is kind of like dipping your truck in plastic (great concept but the paint starts to tear if you wait too long) Also what the knife is for in case you have some stubborn paint.

Scrub the clearcoat like you were a slave in the kitchen scrubbing on cast iron pots and pans trying to get dried food off.

When you are done mixing the paint up clean the mixer off asap! Otherwise it might mess up your gun on the second batch of paint. That's how you get the extra big snots of material on an otherwise perfect paint job.

Ok now on to the pics. If you see something in the pictures that you have a question on please ask and I will answer to the best of my ability.

This is what it looks like in the can.

After color and catalyst.

First coat.

And that's where my phone died. This morning after 4 coats.

This is where I rolled the Monstaliner:

and a comparison pic because I just realized there are 5 pages of posts now.

Tips and Tricks:
1. Do get a two gallon kit. Our 4runners will take almost two gallons and with beefing up the underside a little or tossing additional on the front you can eat up the two gallons.

2. Spray if possible. I know they preach this is a roll on kit and it is probably the best roll on look out there....spraying is still king. You can see in the pics what the spray looks like and then what the roll on looks like. They end up about the same thickness if you ask me. I sprayed at 85psi to achieve that finish. I rather like it.

3. If you are spraying clean the power mixer attachment in between gallons. I didn't and what was a flawless finish turned into bigger globs every now and then shooting from the gun.

4. A gallon kit goes a long long way. I was able to coat the entire 4runner plus some with a gallon. However subsequent coats will be needed so order accordingly. The stuff is really good but it's not really cheap.

5. Make sure you have a respirator. Even if you are spraying/rolling outside this stuff will still make you loopy while applying it.

6. Acetone or MEK....make sure you have at least one qt. I recommend two. If it gets on your clothes....they are f'd....your skin....it takes a few days to come off if you don't get it off with acetone or MEK. Soap does nothing to this stuff.

7. Go ahead and get a quart of Chassis Saver. It's good stuff and while you're coated in bedliner....why not add to the mess?

8. The misting thing is a mystery to me too....but it works. I used a garden hose and nozzle not pointed at the truck so it was like a nice gentle rain. It hardened it up in the desert quite nicely. Tonight I will be misting the fenders so I can drive my beauty tomorrow.

9. Before you do this 3 days before a trail.....the paint takes 7 days to cure. Just FYI.

10. Take your time. The pot life on this stuff is pretty amazing. Roll or spray slowly. Quality over quantity.

11. Use quality tape. I had bleeding when I did the fenders. However that could be from the uneven surface of the monstaliner too.

12. Beer might be required to get up the courage to take a scouring pad to your 4runner. After the fenders and doing this I am sure I will die 5 years sooner.

13. This stuff takes concentration and is very detailed to do a solid job. Don't shortcut anything and you will be happy with the results.

14. If you have any drilling of your panels to do....do it before. This stuff dries hard as nails.

15. If you can bribe a friend to help this is a good thing. Ideas and extra eyes help a lot. BattleWagon was helping me out here and there. Getting Acetone delivered while in a paint booth is a tall order lol. He also gave me the idea to do the door sills. So big thanks to him. Otherwise I would have been SOL for a bit.

16. If you're unsure about the amount give these guys a call. They were so helpful my wife was able to make the order for me since I was on the range every day that week.

The disappointing fact is that Monstaliner does not stick to rubber very well. If you're thinking this would be a good thing you're right if you are talking about tires. I was trying to apply it over those little rubber bits on the limited flares lol. Just use caution and you can still get it done.

All in all I think this is one of the most effective ways to protect your 3rd gen. I have run over yucca bushes and scraped by trees.....not even a mark. Amazing product and honestly amazingly easy to apply.