Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lights, Camera, Action (forgot the camera)

Lights, Camera, Action (forgot the camera)

So I finally got a little bit of free time to work on mounting lights!

Currently I don't have an aftermarket bumper so I am getting creative with the stock bumper. The worst part about it is the sits in the valence are so thin and flimsy that nothing can be mounted there.

The good news is that the bumper is metal and sturdy too. So far I got a couple of 3x6" plates to mount the fog lights to that allow me to mount them with as little modification to the valence as possible.

The 7.5" light bar is going on top of the bumper centered which should take very little time to mount

Finally my led pods are getting mounted up by the windshield using cb off road ditch light mounts. I looked at the mount and I would have a hard time replicating it so I think coughing up the money for a solid product is worth it.

Waytek Wire should be delivered on Thursday and that will give me all of the bits I need to complete the harnesses.

Be cautious of odd questions. I haven't done lighting from scratch before but there is no time like the present!

The led lights were sourced from the retailer on pirate 4x4. The lights so far look great and I can't wait to mount them. The fog lights are used and from someone on another forum. They look like they work but it's cheap to replace a bulb.

Speaking of which I scored the Sylvania high performance bulbs for 20 bucks! Amazon is to be thanked for that deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Of course this post needs some pictures!

What were your light needs? Have the LEDs filled the niche?

Pics will be coming. I was busy bending brackets lol

They should honestly. I want to be able to see what's in front of me and off to the sides at night. Military vehicles recently have spoiled me badly lol

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well I have pics of the secret squirrel project I have been working on.

So far I am nowhere near finishing but I do believe I have the fog light mounts bent to the right shape to both aim correctly and shine the light through the valence.

All I did was order a pair of lumber tie-ins for 1.25 apiece and bend them to what I need. They will be painted before the final installation.

Just a mock up pocture. Here is the pic of how they will fit with the valence.

Pic of the bent up mounts. Best thing about them is that they are easy to drill but hard to bend.

And how I want to install the led lights up above

All in all it's not a ton of light that I'm installing but it will definitely help along with the Sylvania's that I am waiting for in the mail. Tomorrow Waytek should be coming through so I can begin the wiring piece Friday and this weekend.

Also it might just be me but I'm thinking of keeping the valence off or trimming it because the 4runner doesn't look bad that way....plus the valence is a almost worthless piece of plastic that will get destroyed one day anyway. Opinions?

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 08-06-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Finished painting the brackets tonight. Two coats of chassis saver should protect them from rust or anything else. Gotta go pick up some hardware tonight to attach the lights with. Waytek didn't come today so no cussing from putting harnesses together. I guess Friday will be the big progress day. Lots to do yet.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Got a little bit further. Mounting is just down to perfecting and tweaking. I think so far they interface nicely and should be far enough away from the valence to keep any melting from happening. I know these things get fairly hot.

UPS is really hacking me off. For some reason they delayed my package....AGAIN. I would love to get the harnesses done so that I could start testing the lights and finishing the installation.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Finally got my package from Waytek. Maybe tomorrow at work I can piece the fog light harness together.

Next up will be the light bar and maybe at payday I can get the ditch light mounts.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks good! Was wondering if those mounts are gonna be sturdy enough to prevent unwanted vibrations? Seems as though the bracket is too thin and might vibrate too much causing annoyance at night. Maybe figure out a way to box the bracket?
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

They seem sturdy enough. They are made to tie together 4x4 timbers so I figure holding a 1lbs light should be okay. I will find out when I can actually turn them on whether they vibrate or not.

Made a lot of progress today although it doesn't look like it. I was up to my ears in wire, solder, connectors, and shrink wrap. It just got too dark to reliably keep mounting the harness.

I decided to design and build a modular system just in case I want to sell them or move them to another vehicle. The light bar and fog lights are run together but on separate relays. Sadly this is the only harness I was able to complete. When I wire the interior I will wire the ditch light switch so I don't have to do the whole firewall thing again.

Had a few questions though. I am planning on using 20ga for the switch wiring. I figure since it's what the stock harness uses that it will be fine for me to use as well since it's just a carrier signal. Everything that carries current to the lights is 16ga or better (12 for the fog lights). I will be wiring the interior tomorrow hopefully.

Also any ideas what I should measure off to center the light bar? I tried a couple of different things and I know I'm close...but I love to be dead center too. I'm kinda OCD lol.

On to the pics! As a side note I hate putting weatherpack connectors together....

I also ended up hiding the wire inside the bumper since there's all that empty space in there. The tough part is figuring out a 120F heat proof securing for the wiring harness. Zip ties work for a while but become brittle, hose clamps are downright difficult to use and have limited application. Anything glue related (short of JB Weld) will eventually fall off. I might just JB Weld some clamps to the backside of the bumper and call it a day. It's not as if there will be serious force put on the harness.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Came up with an idea for securing the harness and I ordered the CBI ditch lights. Here's the link and I went ahead and got the switch too just to complete the package. Pretty sure it would have taken me a while to bend a bracket like that and it wouldn't have been powder coated either.

https://www.cbioffroadfab.com/produc...light-brackets

I will have pics soon. Not much time to work on the runner chasing after a 10 month old and trying to take care of a pregnant wife lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast