Thread: New Gadget! kinda like scanguage

New Gadget! kinda like scanguage

So one of those backburner items for me was the scanguage just because you can figure out your gas mileage with a pen and paper and honestly that was the biggest thing for me. The codes are nice but I haven't even had an engine light since my "Cat" went bad in Redding (whoever the dealer is up there....well he's a freakin moron). It was a dirty O2 sensor.

Anyway I got this little guy on Amazon for 70 bucks. It connects via Bluetooth and works with droid. I am pretty sure it would work with IOS as well however they do not have an app for IOS....just droid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That should be the link but it hooks up to your OBDII port and interfaces with your phone giving you all kinds of information. To really make it like the scanguage an old phone or cheap tablet would have to be added to your dash area. I am personally watching the HUD displays that are coming out. It would be kinda neat to have a 98 4runner with a HUD....but that's my inner nerd talking.

All in all great gadget. Just one more thing to make everyone hate me

That's my in town mileage
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Very Intrigued.

Thanks for posting this.

OH! - And straight from the listing:
    Transform your phone, tablet, or PC into a professional-grade automotive scan tool (not compatible with Apple iOS devices)
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Transform your phone, tablet, or PC into a professional-grade automotive scan tool (not compatible with Apple iOS devices)
    I read that part too. The reason I say it probably is compatible is because the device must operate on a standard Bluetooth connection. That connection is compatible with any device that utilizes that Bluetooth version.

They include an app for android but do not for the Apple guys. I would find it hard to believe that either side of the equation would use a propritary Bluetooth connection to disable use by such a large section of the market.

This device is compatible with many apps like torque that monitor your obdii. I figure that if one of those apps is compatible with apple that someone with an iPhone could enjoy this device.

Just sayin. I did test this out with torque and it worked great. This company is coming out with a WiFi version of the mx to be fully compatible with apple. Maybe im just confuzzed on apple products though.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Fun! I like the graphs it outputs. I can see how the gauge views might also be helpful for things like tuning.

I was looking into a similar gadget to monitor vitals while driving. I have a nice code reader but I'd only bring it along on longer trips. I have a couple old android devices and always have my android phone with me while driving. For years I had wanted a Scan Gauge but it was large and kind of old school looking. I also didn't want to have to hack into my dash or headliner to mount it cleanly.

I have a proclip and holder for my phone which was going to be perfect for an app powered tool. I ended up going another route because I didn't want to have to pull my phone out every time I got in the car and have everything set up just to record some info. I thought about hard wiring an old phone in but I found the Ultra Gauge smaller and cleaner.

The UG plugs into the OBD port and is small enough to keep in the ash tray. When I need it or want it, it's there. It's also always plugged in so it's always collecting data and is monitoring pending codes. I like it's small size and the fact it isn't touch screen, too much technology sometimes.

The above is from our drive home from Oregon. I have found the unit keeps time as long as the key is in the ON position. I spent a lot of time idling, using the 4Runner and a trailer to collect brush, using the OBA to do tractor maintenance, etc. This running time made features like the average speed and gallons per hour not very accurate. I believe it also reduced the average MPH as I penciled out 20.1 for the trip, it was at 919 miles in the above picture.

I have 5 pages I can toggle through and it's fun to watch on long trips as well as around town driving. We were stuck in traffic on I-5 in Mount Shasta during the 4th of July, like 3+ hours of barely rolling. During some of that idle time I popped the hood and removed my deck plate as we had been offroad most of the weekend. While stuck in 100+ degree traffic I could monitor intake and coolant temperature as well as Time to Empty as there were almost no gas stations around. Once traffic got moving we had several grades ahead of us and I wanted to make up time. Half way through the first grade I heard a beep coming from my ash tray so I pulled the UG out. There was a pending code. I googled it and it was a lean code. 10 miles down the road, sure enough the CEL came on and the code was given. While driving I was able to clear the code and keep driving, that was pretty nice.

Another view, the back lighting automatically adjusts which is nice.

cool! now to find one for the ios! lol sucker for more gadgets.... why do you corrupt us!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Pretty soon gadgets are going to get really interesting. I found this one that I really like but I haven't talked to the wife about the possibility of it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Head-Up...ds=hud+display
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf