So I mucked up part of my bumper on a trip recently and have been slowly trying to get it back to a before state.

I ordered a replacement factory 'end cap' in unpainted form. I couldn't find any non-chrome versions locally so I decided to buy new. I figured this was a good way to go anyway because the part would be straight and I wouldn't have to strip any paint.

I found paintscratch.com and ordered up a kit that had pre mixed factory paint in a can. For $43 I got the material I needed which is cheaper than having it sprayed at a body shop.

I need to do a little more research but thought I'd ask some questions in case anyone has some painting experience. My color is a metallic and while it's not likely for me to match the metallic portion I plan to get close. I've sprayed two light base coats and while the metallic looks okay the surface texture is a little rough. Not so much the metallic part, at least I think, but more of the paint texture. It seems I've never had this experience with say an off the shelf Rustoleum metallic. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be and the clear is the shiny part I'm waiting for. 95% of my painting on the 4Runner is semi gloss black from a can and looks don't matter.

The website mentions wet sanding which I've done and am fine with but the instructions seem to be for paint that may not be metallic. If I wet sand am I just going to wipe out the sparkle? I was trying to get smooth coverage along with consistent flake but I'm afraid it will muck it up. The paint finish also seems to be very matte. I purchased the clear coat for the custom paint and plan to spray that once I feel the color is correct. I'm hoping the clear coat will shine it up enough to match the factory finish.

Seeing that the part is hanging in my warm/hot attic with a couple light coats, how long should I wait until I wet sand? Ken said he waited 5 days when he sprayed his wheels. Any precautions for wet sanding a metallic paint? I only bought one can of paint so I can't sand, paint, sand too many times before running out. I'm hoping on a light sand then happy ending.