Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Locker Woes

E-Locker Woes

Trying to sort through all of this and I think it might be worth making a thread about as a step by step check process. Props to Sean0rz for saying it suggesting I bench test my e-locker before it was under the truck and another set of props and thanks for making and testing the harness to my e-locker so that I can narrow down what I have to test and what I don't. So lets start with what I checked first.

I checked my wiring as it's the most simple of the problems. My harness is set to work off of a single switch where a solid positive causes the locker to lock and the lack of a positive causes it to unlock. As to the rest of the harness's internal workings Sean is the man. He says it works so I'm going with that until proven wrong. So in my case I have all the wires/pins correctly and they are showing good circuits when tested with my circuit tester. Even my RR Diff lock is working on my dash when I apply a ground to the circuit.

After double checking connections I tried the locker again.....no dice. So now I turned to Google who showed me some horrific pics of e-lockers actuators gone wrong. I provided the link for what e-locker guts are not supposed to look like as well as how to rebuild one.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...r-rebuild.html

Here are the pics of mine.

If you're thinking....man this thing is brand new....you're with me. So now I'm scratching my head but it's late and my brain is tired. I am going to check wires and connections on the elocker tomorrow but the motor shows evidence of turning in the past so I'm left shrugging my shoulders on this one. Any more ideas are definitely appreciated.

Trying to get this sorted before this weekend. I have two days to get my diffs dropped and re-installed on a lift before the bill starts to hurt at the hobby shop. I figure I can do the rear in a day and the front in less than a day. I have all the seals, crush washers, etc for doing this one. Hell I could rebuild the axle but I'm waiting till I do the disc brakes just because I want the whole axle tube bare for that process.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 08-25-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Hey man, I'll be back either Thursday or Friday. You can hook it up to mine and see if it works on that one if you haven't figured it out by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

That's a great idea. I really hope it's not a goof on my part!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That locker looks to be in perfect working order.
    Double check the wiring, it should be good though, but maybe something got crossed by accident?
    I've done it before where I was sure I had the wires done right and wouldn't you know it I had two crossed...

Quote Originally Posted by BattleWagonActual View Post
    Hey man, I'll be back either Thursday or Friday. You can hook it up to mine and see if it works on that one if you haven't figured it out by then.

Lol dude your garage is destroyed! I was trying to get those monstaliner chips because a gunner wanted me to paint his rocker panels in monstaliner. He liked my tan though so it's all good.

That is an awesome idea though. Makes things much easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Yeah, I know I had most of everything boxed up until the command decided to tell me the night prior that I was leaving for the field 3 days early. I only had a couple of hours to do laundry and pack for the month. Needless to say rather than go through my gear in a neat fashion I just dumped it out to find stuff.

Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

I took a second look at the wiring on the elocker and I agree with yotafun. That thing is in perfect working order. I will wait till Thurs or Fri and we will test the other elocker on it. That does two things. Fresh second set of eyes and provides a second elocker to test off of. We can go from there.

Hopefully I will have a paint job done on Fri or Sat for the gunner and on the outside chance that it is the harness I am perfectly willing to drive down to see you Seanz0rz.

If that ends up being the case would you mind helping me with the retrofit? I have the bits needed and I am sure I can do it but having someone there who has done it is always reassuring.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ahhhh....just thought of this. What if the position sensor is out? No way to really test it but the motor wouldn't even engage if it was bad.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Correct! That's what I was thinking when I was doing a driveway alignment a few mins ago.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Its a pretty cheap part. According to pirate 4x4 its a reverse sensor off the w56. I will dig around for the exact reference I had. I remember 25 bucks as being the cost though.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast