Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Outfitting and Questions about Pop-ups vs. Just building something

Question General Outfitting and Questions about Pop-ups vs. Just building something

So I'm trying to nail down a list of stuff to pack up for camping and hitting some of these Overland tours that you guys frequently do out here in Socal. After being in the military I am very used to minimal personal gear but on the other hand I always know I won't starve and I won't run out of water. So here's my stab at starting small and including the family in the future. My little one's include one that doesn't walk yet and one that hasn't popped yet so the wife isn't going to be coming along for a little while.

Here's what I have for personal camping gear(not issued):
    Rucksack (old Alice, can pack for a week in it)
    Sleeping bag system (snugpak winter/desert setup)
    Cot, hammock (or I could go with my usual shallow grave)
    poncho liner
    poncho
    sun sail (16.5' triangle) http://www.amazon.com/Coolaroo-Trian...ds=solar+shade (this is a pretty good deal imo)
    E-Tool
    Knives
    Multi-tool
    Propane torch
    LED hanging light
    Headlamp
    Hydration bags/Nalgene Bottles
    Coolers
    Enough 550 cord to make a mummy out of
    First Aid Kit (more combat oriented but with some modification it will be more suited for peaceful outings)
    Trash bags
    Crates/bags to handle food and clothing. Cleanliness is baby wipes and wag bags...oh and an ammo crate to avoid squatting
    A few MRE's in case of hell freezing over (yuck!)

What I plan on collecting slowly:
    Camo netting pole set (for sun sail drive in/drive out)
    Jerry cans for water 2x
    Pop-up tent or custom trailer (m101, m353)
    3x fuel/water jerry cans
    Small Generator
    DC fridge or freezer (if it's not in the pop-up)

Specifically for the 4runner:
    On Hand:
    27" jack (hydro)
    spare/roadside tool set
    extra fuses
    extra oil
    fuel jerry can
    Tow Straps
    Tow Chain

Planned:
    Tire Plug Kit
    OBA
    Extra lighting (4 corner lighting)
    Air Bag system
    Recovery Points besides stock (sonoran steel has some nice ones for the front)
    Rear recovery point insert for tow hitch (till I have a rear bumper)
    Fuel Rack
    Fold down table
    Full Length Top Rack
    Gun Safe (for pistol or two)
    Winch
    Hi-Lift Jack

We (for once) really want to do a pop up trailer but I have zero experience with them and had a few questions. My wife used to travel with her grandparents in one all over the West when she was a kid so that's how I have support from her

1. Is it really even safe to lift them? (not a lot but enough that I wouldn't be worried so much on a forest road)
    2. Can I throw extra gear anywhere in them? (like a small generator)
    3. Would it be possible to extend the frame say 10" to accommodate jerry cans on the front or back
    4. If I pick one up used how expensive are the repair parts (I will probably pick it up used)
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 09-01-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

My thoughts (at 5:49AM, I am shocked I can even tie my boot!):

Bulk water storage is ok. From past trips, We've had a water jug break open (hopped up out of the bed and came crashing down), causing 5 of the 7 gallons to escape. For that reason, and also a packing efficiency and usability standpoint, I have turned to .5L bottled water. It is easier to handle, cook with, clean up with, etc. If you need to bail, you can toss a few in a backpack. It is easier to share with others, and it fits into a cooler better. Downsides are the cost and the waste. Having extra empty containers are not a bad idea in case you needed to capture automotive fluids, set traps, etc.

For example, Pismo, I will be bringing both. Bulk water for dishes, etc. and bottles for drinking. Mojave, I skip the bulk water altogether. The amount depends on a couple of factors. I believe you need a half gallon per person per day. That is what I usually end up using. I take 1 gallon per person per day. That extra bit could get you through being stranded for another couple days, or go a long way to refill a broken radiator. I carry more when it's hot, typically less when it's cold, but usually stick pretty well to the 1 gal per person rule.

Comfort items are a big deal to me. I don't mean a teddy bear (but hey, if it helps you sleep better, who cares!) but things like a good pillow, good air mattress or foam pad, a big sleeping bag, etc go a long way to making a better night's sleep. I know you are used to your shallow grave, but sleeping on a big plush mattress is pretty darn nice.

Tools and recovery gear: it will take practice. Working on your vehicle and pulling it and other people out will really tell you what you need. There are a few must haves, like a couple of GOOD straps, 2 or more shackles, good recovery points, and for tools a good socket set and a good wrench set (I prefer both standard and ratcheting wrenches, who want's to sit there turning a wrench for hours when it could take minutes). I over carry on the tool front, even after reducing it quite a bit. But, it's not just to fix my junk, it is also there to fix other peoples junk.

For trailers, that's a whole discussion right there. If I was going the pop up route, I'd build a frame under it with appropriate suspension, tires, vehicle connection, etc. and drop the popup on top of it. Use a 3 position mounting system if you can to avoid trailer flex damaging the box, although that shouldn't be a problem with a light weight single axle trailer. They aren't going to be a hardcore solution, and I think the worst roads for them are washboards. Vibrations like that will destroy a commercially built trailer in minutes.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I have to get ready for work and I haven't read the whole thread yet, but here's my pop up build up.
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...w-popup-camper

I'll do a better response later.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    My thoughts (at 5:49AM, I am shocked I can even tie my boot!):

Bulk water storage is ok. From past trips, We've had a water jug break open (hopped up out of the bed and came crashing down), causing 5 of the 7 gallons to escape. For that reason, and also a packing efficiency and usability standpoint, I have turned to .5L bottled water. It is easier to handle, cook with, clean up with, etc. If you need to bail, you can toss a few in a backpack. It is easier to share with others, and it fits into a cooler better. Downsides are the cost and the waste. Having extra empty containers are not a bad idea in case you needed to capture automotive fluids, set traps, etc.

For example, Pismo, I will be bringing both. Bulk water for dishes, etc. and bottles for drinking. Mojave, I skip the bulk water altogether. The amount depends on a couple of factors. I believe you need a half gallon per person per day. That is what I usually end up using. I take 1 gallon per person per day. That extra bit could get you through being stranded for another couple days, or go a long way to refill a broken radiator. I carry more when it's hot, typically less when it's cold, but usually stick pretty well to the 1 gal per person rule.

Comfort items are a big deal to me. I don't mean a teddy bear (but hey, if it helps you sleep better, who cares!) but things like a good pillow, good air mattress or foam pad, a big sleeping bag, etc go a long way to making a better night's sleep. I know you are used to your shallow grave, but sleeping on a big plush mattress is pretty darn nice.

Tools and recovery gear: it will take practice. Working on your vehicle and pulling it and other people out will really tell you what you need. There are a few must haves, like a couple of GOOD straps, 2 or more shackles, good recovery points, and for tools a good socket set and a good wrench set (I prefer both standard and ratcheting wrenches, who want's to sit there turning a wrench for hours when it could take minutes). I over carry on the tool front, even after reducing it quite a bit. But, it's not just to fix my junk, it is also there to fix other peoples junk.

For trailers, that's a whole discussion right there. If I was going the pop up route, I'd build a frame under it with appropriate suspension, tires, vehicle connection, etc. and drop the popup on top of it. Use a 3 position mounting system if you can to avoid trailer flex damaging the box, although that shouldn't be a problem with a light weight single axle trailer. They aren't going to be a hardcore solution, and I think the worst roads for them are washboards. Vibrations like that will destroy a commercially built trailer in minutes.
    You're doing pretty good for 0600 in the morning. The only thing that gets me up earlier is stubbornness and the fact that it's the only time I can get a workout in consistently.

What I'm planning on working is one of these for either the back of the truck or on the front/rear of the trailer. The great thing about jerry cans is they rarely (if ever) break. I've seen a couple tumble from greater than 20ft on a loaded truck and not bust (then again about 5 of the 10 did so that might be the limit )

IMG_6238_big.jpg

My experience with pulling people out mostly involves a 60k winch....sometimes a snatch block (that feels like it weighs 60k) and the rest is history. Sometimes it gets more involved but that winch really does the trick most times.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    I have to get ready for work and I haven't read the whole thread yet, but here's my pop up build up.
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...w-popup-camper

I'll do a better response later.
    That's a great buildup! I really enjoyed reading it and I am still reading about the site mentioned on the first page to help with arrangements and stuff. Just what I needed for the pop-up questions.

My main concern is keeping the weight down when I do it. I have a 4 banger and I'm not going to have any huge power increases unless God blesses me with my MSG tour in which case I will come back with at least one diesel LC and hopefully a D4D engine hanging out in the back of it.

I think a good max for a loaded trailer is 3500. I've hauled 5k with the 3rz and I felt vulnerable and a little like my butt cheeks were flapping in the wind at 65. Not to mention that hills were a living nightmare (went through WV and KY) and stopping was about the only good part of hauling that much.

Jayco Eagle -this is my top choice since it comes with all the conveniences of home, has decent clearance (I'm sure it could be lifted a little more), and folds out on 3 sides. The only downside is it weighs in at 3300lbs. Right now with me waiting on promotion this will not be my first step into camping without being ordered to lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

In my opinion I'd wait. From past posts it sounds like you've got kids and/or have one on the way. I've also read you may be moved. I feel those variables are deal makers/breakers in the trailer world. I've got 2 kids, years 5.5 and 2.5, we travel everywhere in just the 4Runner.

We just got back from 4 days and 3 nights and all I had to add was my hitch basket for some fire wood and the kids bikes. I like to keep everything inside if I can because of weather, dust, aerodynamics and security. Our recent trip included a short cut, mistake by me, that took us on a 30 mile dirt 'road' that required 4hi and 4lo the entire time. This was all to go car camping at an established State campground and turned into quite the adventure. I had wanted a pop up trailer for years but I know for sure if it would had made the trip this past weekend it would be in the garage for repairs. Another thing that popped up in my head while driving home was that I was happy to be doing 70 mph on the freeway. CHP was out in force this holiday weekend and I would be hating life at 55.

A lot of our camping includes offroading if not a dedicated offroad trip. Shy of building something cool and heavy I would have to change the 4Runner and/or our travel a bit. I like the fact I can use a close to stock vehicle for everyday activities as well as wheeling and camping. I've thought about setting up a base camp and traveling from there during the day but a lot of our trips aren't like that. If we changed things to do that I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it for fear of coming back to it shot up and empty. Having a base camp at an established camp ground defeats the reason for having a trailer so I'm a bit torn.

My kids are growing fast. They are also loud and messy so a trailer and RTT has been less of an appeal to me lately. We also travel with families and where there is one jam handed kid there are five. So far we tent camp in quality tents, with gear and equipment that my wife and I have refined for almost 15 years now. And with kids it's changed and we're still kicking.

Cost wise building something is cheaper and in the end you'll get more of what you want. Time to plan and build is something to also consider. If you build something make it adaptable as a move to another region may call for a partial rebuild. Sometimes hard sides are better than soft sides. AC, heater and power are also items to plan for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    What I'm planning on working is one of these for either the back of the truck or on the front/rear of the trailer. The great thing about jerry cans is they rarely (if ever) break. I've seen a couple tumble from greater than 20ft on a loaded truck and not bust (then again about 5 of the 10 did so that might be the limit )

IMG_6238_big.jpg

My main concern is keeping the weight down when I do it. I have a 4 banger and I'm not going to have any huge power increases unless God blesses me with my MSG tour in which case I will come back with at least one diesel LC and hopefully a D4D engine hanging out in the back of it.

I think a good max for a loaded trailer is 3500. I've hauled 5k with the 3rz and I felt vulnerable and a little like my butt cheeks were flapping in the wind at 65. Not to mention that hills were a living nightmare (went through WV and KY) and stopping was about the only good part of hauling that much.

Jayco Eagle -this is my top choice since it comes with all the conveniences of home, has decent clearance (I'm sure it could be lifted a little more), and folds out on 3 sides. The only downside is it weighs in at 3300lbs. Right now with me waiting on promotion this will not be my first step into camping without being ordered to lol.

Keeping something lightweight is key. Of course a 3.4 and a supercharger would fix things but that's plopping down some cash. For me I don't want to do that in my 4Runner. If I had a trailer I know it would be a money pit. There is no doubt I'd be modifying the heck out of it every chance I had. I'm sure I'd cut weight in one place only to add it in another.

I use Scepter cans and have had zero problems with them. I've got two 5 gallon ones and one 2.5 gallon one. Off the grid, my family can go a couple of days on one 5 gallon one. At an established campground I bring the 2.5 gallon with water from home. For the most part it's just for drinking, plus it's way easier to pour from.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 09-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Double post sorry
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 09-02-2014 at 10:05 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    In my opinion I'd wait. From past posts it sounds like you've got kids and/or have one on the way. I've also read you may be moved. I feel those variables are deal makers/breakers in the trailer world. I've got 2 kids, years 5.5 and 2.5, we travel everywhere in just the 4Runner.

We just got back from 4 days and 3 nights and all I had to add was my hitch basket for some fire wood and the kids bikes. I like to keep everything inside if I can because of weather, dust, aerodynamics and security. Our recent trip included a short cut, mistake by me, that took us on a 30 mile dirt 'road' that required 4hi and 4lo the entire time. This was all to go car camping at an established State campground and turned into quite the adventure. I had wanted a pop up trailer for years but I know for sure if it would had made the trip this past weekend it would be in the garage for repairs. Another thing that popped up in my head while driving home was that I was happy to be doing 70 mph on the freeway. CHP was out in force this holiday weekend and I would be hating life at 55.

A lot of our camping includes offroading if not a dedicated offroad trip. Shy of building something cool and heavy I would have to change the 4Runner and/or our travel a bit. I like the fact I can use a close to stock vehicle for everyday activities as well as wheeling and camping. I've thought about setting up a base camp and traveling from there during the day but a lot of our trips aren't like that. If we changed things to do that I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it for fear of coming back to it shot up and empty. Having a base camp at an established camp ground defeats the reason for having a trailer so I'm a bit torn.

My kids are growing fast. They are also loud and messy so a trailer and RTT has been less of an appeal to me lately. We also travel with families and where there is one jam handed kid there are five. So far we tent camp in quality tents, with gear and equipment that my wife and I have refined for almost 15 years now. And with kids it's changed and we're still kicking.

Cost wise building something is cheaper and in the end you'll get more of what you want. Time to plan and build is something to also consider. If you build something make it adaptable as a move to another region may call for a partial rebuild. Sometimes hard sides are better than soft sides. AC, heater and power are also items to plan for.
    I am waiting and looking although you are bringing up some excellent points. I'm still new at being a parent and everything you said I hadn't thought of.....but yet I can see it happening very clearly. To answer your questions it's yes on both accounts (except I'm waiting to move). I have a 1 year old daughter (Oct 1) and one due in March sometime.

One of the things about moving in the military is that it's usually free. For me this time it is not as I am moving from a 2 bedroom to a 3 or 4 bedroom on the same base and hopefully it's just a couple of streets over. I rent a Uhaul for the day and offer a free BBQ with beer to help me move boxes and furniture. Currently I'm looking for boxes everywhere and so far I'm doing well. I think I have about 20 to include a couple of dish boxes with filling. Cheapest moving guys on the planet that work for home cooked food and some beer.

I do have a hitch basket that I modified into a bike carrier but it's just bolts. I could easily unbolt everything and have a basket again. Good idea! That would definitely help expand the 4runner without adding $$$ to the drain.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

You're only moving a couple streets!?!

I thought you had mentioned Kentucy or somewhere much farther.

My wife and I had the easiest time camping with the kids when they were babies, the first year. They were Spring babies so that meant they were only a few months old. That was sweet because they didn't wonder, Mom always had their food ready and they liked to sleep. We had a 4 person, 3 season REI tent that was perfect as you could fit a pack-n-play and a pillow top Aero bed in it. For the most part baby slept with Mom on the bed and would get moved as necessary. With a baby and a little older kid the space was gone in that tent so we got a Kingdom 6 REI tent. We're totally past the pack-n-play stage so the extra space gets used for our stuff and the kids rough housing.

A trailer would be nice, don't get me wrong, but it would take more money, time and tinkering. We have everything down to a science so I am able to spend most of my time enjoying being out. If I had a trailer I'd also want to use it for more than 'camping'. A lot of out trips are offroading and an offroad style trailer wouldn't be as useful for things like car camping, soccer tournaments/that style outting (I grew up spending a lot of time in RV's at events), etc. I already have a utility trailer for trailer stuff and am making due so far. Things, places and people are too flux to make a camping decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast