Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got finished with our basement project

Re: Just got finished with our basement project

Steve, it is totally specific to the individual and the TV. In my case, I'd say it definitely looks better but different eyes may not see the same thing. Some also say that the PQ is better with component video than it is with HDMI. I couldn't notice a difference there, and it sure is nice to eliminate wires with HDMI.

Just make sure that closet has good ventilation. Some of those receivers and DVD players can throw off alot of heat!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    So you guys say normal TV looks better on your HDTV than it did on a normal TV?
    I had bunny ears before and the non-HD channels look the same now as they did on my old 20" TV. So, don't expect non-HD channels to look any better.

That said, it's only the HDTV channels that are broadcasted that are a lot better.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

wow Tiddy, your basement looks awesome!

Oly, I am thinking about buying your exact TV. I am getting my own place as of May 1 and need to get to baller status as you have..LOL
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Quote Originally Posted by localmotion
    Oly, I am thinking about buying your exact TV. I am getting my own place as of May 1 and need to get to baller status as you have..LOL
    Haha, nice to hear that! It's definitely a sweet TV!

Here's where I got it: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/458999052
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    I had bunny ears before and the non-HD channels look the same now as they did on my old 20" TV. So, don't expect non-HD channels to look any better.

That said, it's only the HDTV channels that are broadcasted that are a lot better.
    No, I've heard the normal channels actually look worse on a HDTV. I think a lot of it has to do with how people tune their TVs and whether they use the right quality cables. Good to know it looks the same.

What kind of cables are you guys running? HDMI?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4

No, I've heard the normal channels actually look worse on a HDTV. I think a lot of it has to do with how people tune their TVs and whether they use the right quality cables. Good to know it looks the same.

What kind of cables are you guys running? HDMI?
    I didn't notice any difference on normal channels, but I can see how it could get worse.

I'd run HDMI if I had any device that used them.

The only thing I'm running right now is my xbox 360 off of it and that's component. I might be getting the HD-DVD player for it though and that's HDMI.

I hear same thing between HDMI and component, some say one is better than the other. Since I don't have any HDMI hooked up I can't say, but it has to be at least close.

Cool a thread i can make some decent comments on.

I be part owner of a Custom Home Theater/ Low voltage company

Depending on the model of display standard def shows may look grainy. HD pretty much looks good on anything.

There is actually a huge debate on which cable is better component or HDMI. I think they look the same personally. Only thing is if you run component you will need to also run a toslink or coax dig cable so you can get 5.1.

If any one need little stuff like remotes, cables, ect. I can hook it up. You would be surprised at the mark up for this stuff.

If you are local i can do the big stuff. Not to much savings shipping a big ol display to the east coast..

I am pretty good with most questions, the stuff i cant answer i will find out, have distributors and what not i can dig it out of.

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Looks good Tom, I'll have to post some pics of our finished basement too. It is incredible how much extra space a finished basement adds!!! We only have a 42" plasma but next time I'm definately going LCD (50" +) because the resolutions are much tighter and you can even get a true 1080 set for cheaper than the price of a new car (Plasma 1080 sets are still very expensive and eventually I'd bet LCD will overtake plasma in the high end segment). The LCD sets also use alot less juice (like maybe 1/10th!)
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thanks Jamie, yeah we looked at some LCD sets too since the 1080P LCD's were just rolling out when we were ready to buy. The nice thing was that the store we purchased from had all types of TV's to look at, almost side by side.

the threat of burn in from video games scared me away.
    I have never heard of this Oly...can you explain a little further for me?? I eventually want to get a flat screen...right now i have a 52" big screen...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast