Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Roof Rack (sorry 4x4mike)

Small update. Made an arm for the grinder. Didn't copy the plans exactly but it came out nicely and it is square.

98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I remember guys making stands like those back in the day. I don't really remember the purpose but I think it was for notching. What are your plans for it?

Yep I made it for notching my angles. I think of it as an extra hand. I want to make my outer frame out of only 2 pieces of steel.

Sadly the tubing came in 20ft sticks instead of 12ft so I think I actually have enough left over to take a stab at making a ladder for this top rack. We shall see though.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

**Update**

I spent most of the day working on the outer frame making sure the angles were right and everything....somehow I still have to bust two welds tomorrow to relieve the stress out of the frame. Honestly I don't know how it happened but it did. On to the pics...

It was a little troublesome to work with the longer pieces of steel but it paid off when I could nudge the angles and have them come out perfect.

I found that before welding I actually needed .4 deg. more to come out with a perfect angle. I think the most my rack is out is .2 or .3.

First attempt at a level workspace....fail

Second....

Third....and I still wasn't super happy with it but I didn't have 4 buckets (which would have been perfect)

You can see the dip in the front right corner....grrrrrrr. It messed up the subsequent weld which will probably take a little bit of time to correct....but this thing will be flat.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looking great! It is a nightmare to get stuff close to flat when nothing is level, flat, straight, etc.

My roof rack wasn't straight and it bugged me big time. I won't be making that mistake twice!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Looking great! It is a nightmare to get stuff close to flat when nothing is level, flat, straight, etc.

My roof rack wasn't straight and it bugged me big time. I won't be making that mistake twice!
    Yeah I consider myself lucky that it wasn't worse than what it was....although if I would have had my head on straight I would have used my sheet metal clamp to ensure they were flat....oh well.

I am giving some serious thought to the idea of building a ladder on the rear hatch. I have enough 1x1" and the other necessary supplies like VHB tape and thin sheet metal for the brackets. I'm just not sure on how to bend the square tubing. I suppose I could make slices and weld them back together like I did on the rack. Anyone else have a good idea? Never tried to bend square tubing before.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-24-2015 at 07:46 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I would have tacked it all together flat on the concrete. Put down a small square of thin sheetmetal to protect the concrete from scorch marks.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    I would have tacked it all together flat on the concrete. Put down a small square of thin sheetmetal to protect the concrete from scorch marks.
    Lol my garage is less level than my top rack as it is!!
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

It doesn't have to be level, it just needs to be flat and that concrete is flatter than the dip in your steel. Besides, you're using jackstands which are following the contour of the concrete anyway or at least in 1" increments if you're compensating with the adjustment in the jackstand.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    It doesn't have to be level, it just needs to be flat and that concrete is flatter than the dip in your steel. Besides, you're using jackstands which are following the contour of the concrete anyway or at least in 1" increments if you're compensating with the adjustment in the jackstand.
    The dip in my steel came from a crooked bend more than likely. I was thinking about it this morning. Hopefully soon I can get outside and fix it.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast