Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Roof Rack (sorry 4x4mike)

Ok I've had the chance to use the rack multiple times and for what I've had to carry it's been great. All of it has been long pieces of metal or wood. Easy to strap down, safe for the road (the 4x8 sheet of mdf was a little sketch because the nails stick up beyond the level of the rack), and most of all solid. No noises or flex to speak of besides the wind lol. This thing howls like there's a straw stuck in my gas tank and it's getting sucked out.

My solution?

Add more metal. That's right after mulling it over the expanded metal will both add strength and versatility to the rack. I'm also going to work on a faring location to see if I can nail down this wind problem. The rack is low enough of a profile that I can make the front end into a sunk basket of perforated metal so I can carry some stuff out of the way (like straps and stuff) and then the rest of the rack can be covered in a large diamond expanded metal so I can attach small stuff, my rocket box, and other items worry free. I don't think I will ever be removing this sucker again....lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I'm telling ya, get some blue tape and go to town on where you think it might be whistling from. Mine was between the roof and the cross bar since they were so close together.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I'm telling ya, get some blue tape and go to town on where you think it might be whistling from. Mine was between the roof and the cross bar since they were so close together.
    I like that idea. I was just going to use cardboard and some duct tape.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So a little progress today although not as much as I'd like. I discovered where the howl was coming from.

It makes sense now that I think about it. Since the rack extends to the edge of the windshield it is on the leading edge of the roof so there's two directions of airflow to consider. Straight on and diagonal from the windshield. My rack sits where those airflows intersect or at least those nails do on the trailing front edge of the rack.

Long story short I guess I'm going to make a storage locker of sorts up there or something. The material has to be solid to stop the whistle.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well I think I got rod of the whistle. Decided a box up front would just make more noise especially since I do not have the capability to make curved surfaces easily.

So I slapped the expanded metal up there and welded everything up and bam...no more noise.

I used some more of that hammered paint. I really like that stuff. Tough scratch and easy to spray.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Hammer paint holds up really well. I always have a can or two in the cabinet as it's so useful and actually lasts.

The expanded steel looks good and glad to hear you got rid of the noise. Will you still be able to mount the Rocket Box?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Hammer paint holds up really well. I always have a can or two in the cabinet as it's so useful and actually lasts.

The expanded steel looks good and glad to hear you got rid of the noise. Will you still be able to mount the Rocket Box?
    Oh yeah easy as pie and I can choose anywhere on the rack that happens to suit the load configuration as well. I stopped to think about shovels and stuff as I would hate to take the rack back down. I can carry stuff like that elsewhere. The roof rack doesn't seem to be a good place to carry those anyway. Placing solid heavy objects up high like that can lead to injury, broken windows, and the laziness of not wanting to put it back up there.

I am going to have the hammered stuff as my go to paint for stuff I build unless it has to be coated some other way.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I will say I forgot one thing and I noticed it when it was raining. I forgot to run the bolts with silicone when I put them back in. Oh well. Easy fix. There isn't a lot of rain here. Some of the Allen keys were stripping a little since I have to use a round head tool on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Long-Term Update/Thoughts

Full length racks are awesome! I've put all kinds of stuff up there that I would normally need a trailer for. I still haven't added lights and I still plan to do a light bar up top but a lot of things are on hold till I graduate.

I have been thinking about designing a quick release (perhaps with some aero feet!) for the whole rack so I can take it off when it's not needed or if I need access to the roof (like how I need to touch up the Monstaliner under it).

It is still very solid though and very useful though. Very little road noise but I do suspect that it has robbed as much as 2-3mpg from the truck. It's of the reasons I was thinking about a quick release.

In other news I have 3 semesters left and I'll have a BA in Economics. More importantly though I have a couple of businesses interested in my graduation date. Not sure where I'm going to end up but it will be a better place lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

2-3 mpg! Mine doesn't extend past the sunroof, which I always have propped open so I think my rack doesn't rob anything from mine.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast