Thread: Trailer

Trailer

So I picked up a little trailer to help with everything the 4runner cannot do with chores around the new house. I got a great deal on a well maintained 5x8 trailer with sides and a tilt bed. It has a 2k axle under it which is just fine for what the little 3rz will be up to. I need it for household items, mowers, dirt, rock, landscaping stuff, and whatever else I can't get in the back or ok top of the runner. Best thing was that it was 425 and a handshake.

Now for the thread reason. I wondered if lengthening the tongue by about 2.5ft and then making the front of the trailer hinged (just a little more room for bulky stuff) would be a horrible idea. I know trailer balance is an important issue but I figured a longer tongue would also make the trailer easier to maneuver in reverse. I might have a class a cdl but this trailer is quick to turn lol.

Since it is a tilt trailer there is only a bolt at the center which holds the tongue to the frame. I could easily purchase a new tube for the tongue and put a hinge on the leading edge for about 120 bucks or so with new pressure treated wood on the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 07-23-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

According to the boat scene lengthening does nothing to the handling that is adverse. Eventually I will get there but for now I am using as is. I slapped a coat of paint after busting rust for a while and it looks a lot better

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I bought a very similar trailer when I sold my fullsize truck. I had always owned a truck and loved being able to haul or pick up big and/or dirty items. My trailer is the same size and has the tilt as well. The biggest difference is that it has a large gate for rolling items on (it's sold as a landscape trailer). It also has sides about 30" tall and the front 'side' tilts down so that long items can extend towards the hitch.

My advice would be to run it as is and see how it does. My largest loads are from helping people move and I've found it's easier for me to stack than to build out a larger bed. I do have the advantage of the rear gate which acts as a large support. Stacked about the height of the 4Runner, sometimes taller, is about as much as I want to carry. If I made the trailer larger I'd fear it would be too heavy for other components and or too dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I bought a very similar trailer when I sold my fullsize truck. I had always owned a truck and loved being able to haul or pick up big and/or dirty items. My trailer is the same size and has the tilt as well. The biggest difference is that it has a large gate for rolling items on (it's sold as a landscape trailer). It also has sides about 30" tall and the front 'side' tilts down so that long items can extend towards the hitch.

My advice would be to run it as is and see how it does. My largest loads are from helping people move and I've found it's easier for me to stack than to build out a larger bed. I do have the advantage of the rear gate which acts as a large support. Stacked about the height of the 4Runner, sometimes taller, is about as much as I want to carry. If I made the trailer larger I'd fear it would be too heavy for other components and or too dangerous.
    I was concerned about the same thing too Mike. As much as I would like a big trailer I want to use it for hauling dirt, rocks, stone, and whatever else will not fit in the back. If I get a bigger trailer I am likely to overload the trailer or 4runner. I thinking hinging the front side so that I can lay it down when needed along with lengthening the tongue will be all that is needed to really make it a versatile trailer. For right now I am simply going to get used to having the trailer though. It's been a while since I had so much open space lol.

One of these days (many moons from now) I would love to build a camper that is sturdy enough to trek the backroads but light enough that it doesn't weigh a 4runner down too badly. But that's some serious dreams. Just the plans alone would take months.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 07-24-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well I started moving a few items and it's time for new boards. Those things were shot. No redesign but I am doing 30" walls all the way around and a tailgate. It will be wooden but it's better than nothing.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Well I started moving a few items and it's time for new boards. Those things were shot. No redesign but I am doing 30" walls all the way around and a tailgate. It will be wooden but it's better than nothing.

Sides are finished. I am hinging the front wall of the trailer and making a telescoping tongue for it so the wall can lay flat and still have enough tongue left to turn. The great thing is I will retain the tilt ability so I am still not needing ramps.

The wood is pretty green. I want to waterproof it but I have to wait for that wood to cure some. It's going to be tough as nails when it dries since I built everything green.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf