Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Roof Rack (sorry 4x4mike)

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    It doesn't have to be level, it just needs to be flat and that concrete is flatter than the dip in your steel. Besides, you're using jackstands which are following the contour of the concrete anyway or at least in 1" increments if you're compensating with the adjustment in the jackstand.
    I ended up slicing two more welds to release the stress in the rack but I didn't have to cut all the way through any pieces. I just had to tweak them a little and everything welded up really nicely. Still working so I will report back later.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Got 90% of the welding done today and so far so good. It took me perhaps 20 minutes to fix the frame and then it was on to the interior. Overall I think I only heat tweaked one piece and it's the center of the X frame in the back. There is very little to no flex in the frame when I was pressing on it which is good. The frame is also very lightweight. I can easily lift it with one arm. I highly doubt I will get a lot of work, if any, this week so next weekend I plan on finishing this thing up.

So I actually had to break one of the welds loose on this one. It was half an inch out of square (measuring mistake)

All the crossbars in taking a break

Starting the measurements

So you might notice that one x does not look like the other. After I tacked the first one I realized I had measured 16.25 as center when it should have been 18.25. I didn't have enough steel to sacrifice the mistake so I just went with it.

Fully welded on both sides. It is pretty darn flat. Minus the weld beads it should be very flat but I might have tweaked the center of the 1x1" Which ever way it arcs though will be the top of the rack. That will give me something to fight the weight with.

I also noticed it is a little narrow to fit much up there besides the rocket box so when I go to test fit everything I may end up adding wings on the side to the edge of the roof. Right now it is the width of the tracks plus an inch.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looking good Mr. Roxx. I've found it's hard to keep things flat and square. I don't weld enough to have a routine down to combat warping due to heat. It sounds like you're figuring it out and moving right along.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Looking good Mr. Roxx. I've found it's hard to keep things flat and square. I don't weld enough to have a routine down to combat warping due to heat. It sounds like you're figuring it out and moving right along.
    What I've found to somewhat effective is tacking several pieces in place and then hopping around doing random sides letting the welds cool and tighten (didn't believe that till I was doing my angle welds. I could watch it on the digital protractor) and then flipping the piece and doing the other side.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So in light of my incredible bad luck and poor foresight as well as a how to on reinforcing the roof that I found my project has taken a slight detour to dismantle the interior and remove the headliner.

The bad luck that I have is because out of all the days I remove my stock rails it rains the very next day....which leads to one of the reasons I removed the headliner. The other is apparently there are people who have ripped the roof from putting too much weight on the roof up front. So I am reinforcing it just because I am modifying the rack system.

It will also allow me to create a new attachment system by drilling more holes up front and welding nuts on the backside of the steel strip I am mounting to reinforce the roof.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I picked up the steel. I just went with hot roll as I don't see the small strength advantage making a huge difference. It was a nice cheap 15 bucks. On payday I will be picking up all the hardware. I should only need some fender washers and some metric bolts.

Can I use rivnuts on this project? I would like to be able to remove the roof rack after everything is back together. I have no experience with rivnut so I have to ask.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

What do you want to do with the rivnuts? Hold the front of the rack to the roof? That should work OK just seal the crap out if em!

Do you still have your headliner down? Can you take a bunch of pics for me?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    What do you want to do with the rivnuts? Hold the front of the rack to the roof? That should work OK just seal the crap out if em!

Do you still have your headliner down? Can you take a bunch of pics for me?
    Exactly, and hold the 3/16 flat bar up as well lol. There will be plenty of sealant used lol. I used caulking last time and that seemed to work well.

If they work like they look they do I insert them into the bottom of the flat bar and then bolt through the roof correct? I will be using vhb to holt the weight of the flat bar to the roof I just need something to bolt to that will tighten without a wrench being down there.

And I can take some pics for you. Just need to get done with work first lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Rivnuts are nice but I would use the factory tracks to hold down the main portion of your rack. Like Sean said, sealed up rivnuts for the front supports would be a nice idea.

I'd stick with your plan of reinforcing the roof and the underside of the factory rails. The rails and holes are already there and beef up where you feel is necessary.

Weld nuts would be better. Or tap the 3/16 bar.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast