Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Roof Rack (sorry 4x4mike)

I'm at work so not much help from me today. YouTube is probably your friend for ideas.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Rivnuts are nice but I would use the factory tracks to hold down the main portion of your rack. Like Sean said, sealed up rivnuts for the front supports would be a nice idea.

I'd stick with your plan of reinforcing the roof and the underside of the factory rails. The rails and holes are already there and beef up where you feel is necessary.
    I am using all of those supports but I am extending the holes and reinforcement up to roughly directly above the drivers head and hopefully tying in to the front cage support. It might take a little bending but it is very possible from what it looks like.

Hadn't thought about rapping the metal itself. That's the kiss method. I like it.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ok photos of the roof. I don't have the sunroof so hopefully it's still of some use to you guys.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks, That helps! I have no idea what shape the structure above the windshield is suppose to be. I still don't know if I even got mine close.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

No worries. I had to order all of the hardware since no one in this town carries a decent selection of taps or metric hardware so I might get as far as cutting the support bars down but that's it. Everything else will have to wait till next weekend.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Small and tiny update.

Picked up another tool to help get things straight. A fella on Craigslist has this old craftsman drill press .5" drive for sale for 35 bucks.....he'll uv a deal. Rpm's are perfect for steel. It's not a big press but it's perfect for my purposes and much better than wearing out my little 3/8" drill.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Got my lights in for the rear. I was looking at how much I had to disassemble and figured now was as good a time as any since it's apart already.

These are the 3w version. I heard reviews about the 9w getting hot so I figured it was best to play it safe especially since I have 12 of them. Also heard it's good to run a 22 ohm resistor to regulate the voltage going to the lights.

I'm going to look up how it would be best to wire these up. Also thinking about making a few switches for the ceiling lights and tailgate lights. Thoughts anyone?
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Nice! How tight is the beam? Was looking at these for rock lights but heard reports that they were too much of a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Nice! How tight is the beam? Was looking at these for rock lights but heard reports that they were too much of a spot.
    Testing on a temp platform proved more challenging than I first realized but I was able to get a few decent shots.

wall @ 7 ft or so

pinpoint light. These little things are bright for what they are.

complete dark @ about 3 ft.

Seems to be largely a flood pattern if you ask me.

I figure if I put 4 in the tailgate, 4 in the ceiling on top of the led already in the dome light, and then sink 2 on each side to illuminate under the shelf I will have a fairly bright area. Also to simplify wiring it seems to make sense I do two switches and leave the ceiling lights wired with the door light.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

All of my parts are in!! I have steel for the roof and I have a buddy available to help me this weekend whenever I get time lol.

So I have rubber for the roof as a cushion and isolator on the inside and outside of the roof.

I picked up some fender washers so I can put space in between the roof so it doesn't rattle.

The bolts are the rack but I went ahead and spent the cash on stainless and also purchased a high quality tap since I will be making so many holes.

I still have sealant left from when I did the monstaliner.

I'm starting to see where so many people have scrap steel. I have a bunch and I haven't even been welding for 6 months.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast