Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Roof Rack (sorry 4x4mike)

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I have no idea what sized nails I used. They are from Home Depot and in a bin where you buy them individually rather than in a box. These pictures will give you an idea of size. They are thick enough I don't get any deflection. The smaller nails on my cargo rack would bend if I really cranked down on them as they are smaller nails.

FWIW I have less clearance between the bottom of the rack and my roof and it's quiet. I did notice when I put the front piece on my rack I hear the wind going through that section when the sunroof is propped open. Nothing from the back section and nothing touches when the rack is loaded up.
    I think I have a better idea now thanks. Pretty sure they're a smaller landscaping spike. I have an interesting idea cooking for this that should work but I have to check a couple of things first.

Will have some progress soon I hope. Haven't had time to really do much except get home, shower, play with the kiddo, and sleep.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I settled on my mounting system and I'm sure it will work and blend with the rest of the design. Tomorrow is the day.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I got 3 mounts done.....

I'm going to do the 4 corner mounts to get the rack mounted but after that I will be doing the other 3 per side. It took me forever to get the angles right and the rack level (or as level as it will get on the 4runner)
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Lots of work done today but I made it a short day so I could spend some time with the family

So the front and rear mounts took a lot of fidgeting to get straight but in the end I ended up making the lower mount off the truck and then tacking the rack to it while it was on the 4runner. The holes match nicely and now I can make the center mounts with very little effort and I can do the front mounts next weekend.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 02-15-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks great!

I am liking that you deleted the roof rails. I will likely do the same since mine were bent in the roll.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thats a great Idea. The stock rails dont distribute the weight very well anyhow. You can sell your stock rack as whole as well. Seems like quite a few 4runners came with the holes but no rack.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    Thats a great Idea. The stock rails dont distribute the weight very well anyhow. You can sell your stock rack as whole as well. Seems like quite a few 4runners came with the holes but no rack.
    Seriously that was the hardest part. I spent 3 hours planning, measuring, and centering the rack deletion....and then that much time again fitting 4 mounts. Now granted there are many ways to skin a pig but I started a few different strategies before settling on what's in the pictures.

It's not so much the cutting of angles as it is the constant changing of angles. There is no constant angle across the whole roof. I ended up cutting square ends and then cutting the angle in after a fitting or two.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I don't know how it happened but I cut 4 pieces and they were almost perfect the first time. The rack bolts down for the rear. Now I have to do the fronts. I was going for a sleek type look while still remaining functional and I think I've done fairly well for a first stab at fabricating a large piece. I definitely like working with the 1.5x.5" tubing. It's very strong when rotated on the long side.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Got a little done today. I cut and fit the front feet. I was kind of disappointed that after all the measuring I was off by .25" on. one of the holes I drilled. It still fell within the 1" wide bar but I generally like to have better accuracy than that. Given what I've had to measure accurately some of my holes have been off but most of them drill on target. I played around with the drill press and I found that to get a perfect hole I have to measure a quarter high and an eighth to the left in order for my hole to be perfect. I suppose that's what I get for spending 35 bucks for a drill press lol. It still does help drill holes in steel so it is still worth it.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looking good!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast