Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Roof Rack (sorry 4x4mike)

That looks really nice!

I am still debating reusing half of my old rack or just starting fresh.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks man. You all helped with the design so a lot of the credit goes to the suggestions that you guys had. I am really excited to get this out in the trails.

As for your rack sean I think you had a good looking rack. It was functional and sleek. However I understand the desire to come up with something different as well.

I was really really happy with how easy cutting and welding the angles went with my outer frame. It gave me a very straight base to work with and it didn't warp hardly at all.

I have one bar in the center that is a 16th of center and it's bugging the crap out of me. It may get fixed and it may not. I really want to put the interior back in.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Don't bother for 1/16. At work, being within .063" is a good day.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Don't bother for 1/16. At work, being within .063" is a good day.
    This is very anti ocd lol
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

When you make (very secure) boxes, 0.0005" does not make a difference.

What would drive your OCD worse is seeing the step in the paint where you had to re-weld. Anywhere the paint was ground off (or sanded off), rewelded, and repainted will show up worse than being 1/16" off.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    What would drive your OCD worse is seeing the step in the paint where you had to re-weld. Anywhere the paint was ground off (or sanded off), rewelded, and repainted will show up worse than being 1/16" off.
    This is also a good point lol. I'm fairly pleased so far. It doesn't make much noise although it certainly isn't silent. It does not rattle at all and there is no looseness to the fitting either. It's ready for action.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    This is also a good point lol. I'm fairly pleased so far. It doesn't make much noise although it certainly isn't silent. It does not rattle at all and there is no looseness to the fitting either. It's ready for action.
    I have to retract the doesn't make much noise. It howls pretty good in side winds. I discovered this with the front starting to move into the desert.

Here are some night pics of the lights though.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks great!

I got rid of my noises (at least as best I could) by using tape to dam up areas where I thought the noise might be coming from. Then I filled those spots with thick weatherstripping from Home Depot. It probably wouldn't have lasted more than a couple years, but it was easy to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Looks great!

I got rid of my noises (at least as best I could) by using tape to dam up areas where I thought the noise might be coming from. Then I filled those spots with thick weatherstripping from Home Depot. It probably wouldn't have lasted more than a couple years, but it was easy to install.
    Pretty sure it comes from all the nails lol. The 4runner isn't very aerodynamic anyway but I might try taping a valence to see if it helps.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast