Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Roof Rack (sorry 4x4mike)

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Yup, what sean said. Basically, any inside corner increases stress.

Weld stress is something a little different. That's the HAZ or Heat Affected Zone.
    Thanks again for the tips. Made the changes and I was surprised that working with curves was easier than polygons. Contacted a few laser cutters in the area (well as close as I could get to my area) to see what pricing would be.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So one more tip. The only cutter to get back to me had a shop minimum of 150 which is fine. Firing up a million dollar machine for tiny amounts of time wouldn't be worth it to them.

However once he saw the design he recommended water jet instead of laser due to the thickness and small size. Not entirely sure why on the size issue but the water jet does thick metals much better. Now I'm in the process of finding a company that looks like it would be willing to make a small order.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I know our laser at work doesn't do great with features that are smaller than material thickness. For example, the thickness of material around the hole is about as thick as the material. You usually end up with wonky parts at that point. On a material standpoint, there is just too much heat being applied to too small of an area.

You should be able to find a job shop that will do it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I know our laser at work doesn't do great with features that are smaller than material thickness. For example, the thickness of material around the hole is about as thick as the material. You usually end up with wonky parts at that point. On a material standpoint, there is just too much heat being applied to too small of an area.

You should be able to find a job shop that will do it.
    There are a couple of water jets in the area and then there's also west coast broncos in yucca valley and they have a 5 axis plasma table. I tried to drop by today but they were already closed. I will see if I can call tomorrow and set up some email communications. If they are willing to one off my parts I might just use them for convince sake. They are a custom off road shop that makes custom bronco parts and suspensions. It should be right up their alley.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    There are a couple of water jets in the area and then there's also west coast broncos in yucca valley and they have a 5 axis plasma table. I tried to drop by today but they were already closed. I will see if I can call tomorrow and set up some email communications. If they are willing to one off my parts I might just use them for convince sake. They are a custom off road shop that makes custom bronco parts and suspensions. It should be right up their alley.
    ....and every single one of them did not respond. Talked to a few shops that had plasma tables. Got blown off by one shop but then found the little guy next door to them and while he doesn't have a plasma table what he does by hand is very impressive.

He also has a shop rate of $40 an hour which I find extremely reasonable. I actually have re-vamped the design so I can work with his equipment and off of his suggestions. He talked (and taught) me a few things and then said he was really busy at the moment but in a couple weeks he should have several of the pre-runner jobs out of the door so he would have more time. This is the kind of guy I was looking for. If you need a fabricator in the yucca valley area All Terrain Fabrication is really worth checking out.

Oh yeah so today I went and got myself a few goodies. Tomorrow I am going to finish a few projects hopefully and perhaps I can get started on the outer part of the top rack. I scared the heck outta some of the socal drivers today as I had multiple 12ft sticks of steel up top lol. It flexed the top rack when I would hit bumps. Not anything dangerous but it made tailgaters think really really hard about their life expectancy.

I also wandered around Harbor Freight for the first time (don't judge me) and found a couple of very useful items including some more magnetic squares (man I love those things!!) and a knotted steel wheel for the grinder.

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-16-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Made lots of progress but sadly none of it was on the top rack.

I do however have a functioning welding cart and my table is much sturdier after putting the dual locking Castors on.

Tomorrow I will be starting to do the math on the cuts I need to make to do the outline. After seeing the steel in person this is going to be more of a platform than anything else. I have no doubts to its strength though. I should have this ready for mojave as well as shackle hangers for the front at least.

Man my math is rusty lol. I'm having to Google everything.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

If you need any help, let us know.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Well a sanity check would be awesome since my wife is great with latin and classical knowledge a ruler and protractor are not her greatest assets.

So this is how I'm measuring the cuts. First of all the middle of measurement x will be the middle of the triangle. When I look for the angle of A I do this by taking 180 deg minus the inside measurement of the angle. In my first angle I'm looking at 150 deg so the angle I would use is 30 deg right?

I included an illustration to help out.

More progress has been made. I am starting to finish up the cargo shelf and I am also putting the finishing touches on my welder cart. I don't get much time to work before the sun goes down and gets chilly. Soon I should have some pics but right now I'm just trying not to mess these up.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-19-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks good to me. I always take the compliment to the inside angle (30 deg in this case), divide by 2, and that's your cut from perpendicular.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ok got that part right!!! Thanks Sean.

I am going to build this tomorrow to give me a hand with these cuts. I figure that it will help immensely with making these inside cuts. I don't think that it would be very easy to take this into the hobby shop where the chop saw is if I want to leave the outside wall.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Angl...-For-Safe-Use/

I suppose I could make the cuts with a sawsall. What would be perfect is a band saw but I do not currently have access to one of those.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast