Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Roof Rack (sorry 4x4mike)

Get yourself one of these in aluminum:http://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools...277BoCvKLw_wcB

It will allow you to mark the angles on the tube. I cut all mine with a 4.5 angle grinder and cut off wheel.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Get yourself one of these in aluminum:http://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools...277BoCvKLw_wcB

It will allow you to mark the angles on the tube. I cut all mine with a 4.5 angle grinder and cut off wheel.
    I have been using one of those for years but with wood lol. The thought didn't even cross my mind that it would work for what I'm after (although it probably should have)

THANKS!

I am still considering building the guide to help steady my hand but I might give the first cut a try and see how it goes free hand.

Here's some pics from last night's work. I have built on a hook for my leads with the welder cart. My goofy butt miscalculated the space I needed for the castors to clear the frame and ended up adding camber to my wheels. The cart is VERY stable and while it takes up a bit more room I am satisfied with the result given the fact I planned out nothing with building it.

98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

My advise for the grinder is let it do the work and never force it. That's how people get hurt!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Pressure also flexes the blade and gives you a wider and concave cut.

And if you're unlucky like one of my friends the blade busts at 13k and imbeds itself in your face.

Yep the blade does the work. Easier that way.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-20-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Well a sanity check would be awesome since my wife is great with latin and classical knowledge a ruler and protractor are not her greatest assets.

So this is how I'm measuring the cuts. First of all the middle of measurement x will be the middle of the triangle. When I look for the angle of A I do this by taking 180 deg minus the inside measurement of the angle. In my first angle I'm looking at 150 deg so the angle I would use is 30 deg right?
    When you make your cuts, make sure you measure the length to the longest edge of the steel, not to the middle of the angle. Otherwise you'll end up short.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    When you make your cuts, make sure you measure the length to the longest edge of the steel, not to the middle of the angle. Otherwise you'll end up short.
    Not sure I am following but if you are referring to making the cut on the far side if the line to account for the kerf of the cut off wheel then yes absolutely I agree.

Not sure what the kerf of the cutoff wheel is yet but I imagine it's somewhere around 1/16th.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Wait....lol I think it just clicked.

In my case since I am making a octogon I will always measure to the outside of the shape in order to get the correct legth of the sides.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Wait....lol I think it just clicked.

In my case since I am making a octogon I will always measure to the outside of the shape in order to get the correct legth of the sides.
    Yup, that's it. (Not that I've ever made this mistake before...)
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Even though metal is a bit more forgiving than say wood in this respect, it's easier to grind a little off than it is to fill big gaps. On something like this, I'd cut .0625 larger then grind the angle perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Even though metal is a bit more forgiving than say wood in this respect, it's easier to grind a little off than it is to fill big gaps. On something like this, I'd cut .0625 larger then grind the angle perfect.
    I agree especially on stuff that isn't very thick. Need to pick up a digital protractor so I can easily check the final angle after I make my cuts. I just found one on Amazon for 20 bucks or so.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-20-2015 at 09:14 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast