Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Great to hear!

I just got her started up! She runs great, except for the smoke screen I created. Had to shut it down after a few minutes because it smoked out the neighborhood. I expect that to last for several dozen more minutes, so I will have to wait to a windy day or just do it in small increments.
    Not sure if this would help get the oil out or make the neighbors really hate you but you could always go with seafoam through a vacuum line. That puts it in the cylinders and through the head. I know it would smoke a ton but instead of it being several times it might just get you shot at once lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

It was smoking worse than the last time I did Seafoam on my Honda!

I let it run for a few more minutes, until the smoke got too bad. Then again, and it never smoked bad enough to stop. Let it idle for maybe 20 mins while I pulled the tail lights (Big mistake doing something next to the exhaust though!). It was still smoking when I turned it off. I will do it a couple of times after work next week, but I am pleased with the way the engine runs. I do hear a whine from the engine somewhere. Not sure if it's a rotational whine or vac leak whine. I will figure it out later. Next weekend hopefully I will get to some body work. Still aiming for a Thanksgiving weekend paint job.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Great to hear bud!
    Getting it running and rolling is always the two biggies. Everything else is just details.

...course there may often be a LOT of details, haha.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Didn't get to work on the truck much today, but got some stuff done that will allow me to.

Trailer on the driveway had a flat. Tires were bald anyway, and the right bearing was cooked. Spent today swapping out bearings and getting fresh tires. Not sure how that took all day, but it did.

Now that it is mobile again, it can be moved so I can put my truck closer to the welder outlet on the side of the garage.

While cleaning up, I let my truck run for about 1 hour. It is still smoking pretty bad, but by the end it was less. Hopefully it is on its way to not smoking anymore. I am ready to start welding up the sunroof hole, and pulling the rest of the dents with the stud welder, but it needs to move first. Before that happens, I have to move the Squareback and a bunch of other stuff. We have too much crap.

Discovered my compressor is incapable of providing the necessary air flow for spraying the Monstaliner. Looking into alternatives from buying a new compressor to renting one or finding someone that will spray it for me. Renting and doing it in my garage looks like the best option.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Renting a small gas hotdog compressor should give you enough air. I'm not sure what your rental place has available but mine has those for cheap and they have near double digit output. How sensitive is the Monstaliner to moisture? If you rent something that has a small tank but high output I'd consider running the rental air through your tank and then to your gun. Filter out of your tank and at the gun.

50 a day isnt bad, which is what my local rental yard wants. Now I need a space. I was going to build a temp booth on the side of the house, but my worry is it will be too cold for proper curing. I might spray it outside and then push it into the garage for the week, but that means a major cleaning of the garage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    50 a day isnt bad, which is what my local rental yard wants. Now I need a space. I was going to build a temp booth on the side of the house, but my worry is it will be too cold for proper curing. I might spray it outside and then push it into the garage for the week, but that means a major cleaning of the garage as well.
    You're good as long as you can keep it above 50 deg after spraying it. If you can do that for the first night then you are golden. After that you would just need to make sure you dont test the durability of the paint for a week and mist it a few times a day. Not sure what the temps are down there but around here we are getting close to 50 at night.
    Inside the garage you should be able to keep it above 50 with a space heater and some work lights.

I would also consider rolling it out. I had good results and it on the fenders and would be much cheaper too. In addition with some help by the time you rolled from front to back it would be very close to time to roll the second coat.....and then you're done!

If you need a clean garage I do have one of those now

All the boxes are gone and the huge desk is about to disappear.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I have nothing useful to add other than, I feel your pain Sean! I am currently trying to clean out enough space to get my junk back into the garage to get some major work done as well.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

How the work on the 4Runner going?

Working towards moving it inside the garage. It will take a few weeks but it should make my life a little easier.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast