Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    Sounds good! I dont envy you with all of those dents to push out but I think you'll still be ahead of the game timewise and money wise over the body swap.

I dont know what makes a dent receptive to this treatment but I guess its worth a try

I have never tried this but I bet it would work on some dents. The heat gun goes to about 200 deg and then the can flipped upside down cools the metal quite rapidly to below zero. The premise being the expansion and contraction of metal. The only danger being to the paint itself. Sometimes the paint doesn't react as well.

Sean that sounds like a lot of progress! For what it's worth the truck looks pretty good but there is a lot of work to be done.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I'm sure this technique works great on a panel dent. I don't think I'd have much luck on the roof.

Which is what I'm working on now.

I've used the factory jack a few dozen times, never to actually lift the vehicle.

It's coming along nicely actually. I though the windshield structure was part of the body skin but it is not. I will get the body back to shape and then have to deal with the structural bits. Might have to cut the spot welds and move each piece individually, then reweld.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I made much progress with the jack:

These big dents will have to be popped out by hand, they are too far under the structure to get with the jack.

This gouge is the worst spot. It wouldn't budge with the hammer, might just have to fill that in with bondo.

Here you can see just how far I moved the roof up from the structural members.
    Before:

After:

To move the structure back up, I will have to drill out the spot welds between the two pieces, move the inner one up, then move the outer one and reweld.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 09-28-2014 at 03:49 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

krypto, you'll have to school me in Monstaliner. It might just be what I end up doing on mine. Still considering options.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    krypto, you'll have to school me in Monstaliner. It might just be what I end up doing on mine. Still considering options.
    It's good stuff....and it might help you with filling in some of the imperfections that you can't fix plus it just looks badass. That last part is my own opinion of course lol.

Really like the progress and the ingenuity you are applying to fix your dents and what not. At this point you could look at just using monstaliner on your whole truck in and out I always love seeing a naked interior. It really opens up all of the possibilities a vehicle has.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I'm really leaning that way, especially if I can keep my factory color but avoid the complexity of a clear coat.

If you end up going that way it's about 90 bucks for no binder tint and around 258 plus shipping for the monstaliner kit.

Plastic sheeting, 2 quarts acetone, rags or shop towels, cheese cloth, gallon containers, measuring containers, and green green paint tape adds up to about 100 bucks to top everything off. Then you just have to decide whether to spray or roll.

Cheapest and toughest paint job if you ask me. No decals will ever stick to that finish though lol.

To help out I can provide the gun. It's the least I can do. A couple of containers will help but those are like 5 bucks on the monstaliner site.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

That's not bad. I was looking at around 2000 to have the truck resprayed professionally. I'm looking into coating the cargo area and replacing the carpet up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    That's not bad. I was looking at around 2000 to have the truck resprayed professionally. I'm looking into coating the cargo area and replacing the carpet up front.
    That's what I was looking at and to me it just wasn't worth it being out in the desert. I did see a stud welder for 65 bucks on Craigslist in corona. It might help with the dents. That's how a body shop pulls those nasty ones in your roofline.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Glad she's coming back alive! Not that she was ever dead, just bruised.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast