Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I have a pressure washer. Problem for me is where does the oily sand go?

My plan is to get a couple of rubbermaid bins, fill them full of hot water and Dawn soap, let the parts soak in the sun for the week, and scrub them each day. Then I can filter the oil and sand out of the water when I dump it out. I will try to knock out as much sand before hand and put it in the trash.
    You've got the right idea I believe. I would take a look at simple green or marine clean as well. Marine clean is what I use to prep surfaces for paint and generally it will knock stuff off without scrubbing. You want to use gloves with it and you need to dilute it as well.

That's the nice part about it though. For tougher stuff you can dilute it less to a point and get the stuff separated. Not too bad on price either.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001NG...&robot_redir=1

Iirc it is a 5:1 minimum mixture but I have never gone that strong. It's REALLY potent so I usually go 8:1 in a normal plastic spray bottle.

How I use it is I spray the piece down and let it sit for 5-10 min and then scrub if I need to. Rinse after and repeat if necessary.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-12-2014 at 06:35 AM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Wow, you've made a lot of progress! Looks like quite a bit of work.

Have you decided on what color you will be painting it?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I have been using 50/50 Simple green to clean up. It works pretty well, but I will be chasing it with engine degreaser at some point.

Dan, I have decided to go color matched Monstaliner. Thanks to Krypto for the idea! I think it's going to look great!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I have been using 50/50 Simple green to clean up. It works pretty well, but I will be chasing it with engine degreaser at some point.

Dan, I have decided to go color matched Monstaliner. Thanks to Krypto for the idea! I think it's going to look great!
    Simple Green is great stuff! Wasn't sure if it was as easy to find off base. Jarheads use that stuff for everything except toothpaste it seems..jcbxvdcvcuw

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    Wow, you've made a lot of progress! Looks like quite a bit of work.

Have you decided on what color you will be painting it?
    I agree with dhc6twinotter. I think you're doing great with everything. I also think the color matched monstaliner will look awesome.....but I am biased too.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks everyone!

I've been using simple green forever. It is great stuff. I usually buy it by the gallon at home depot. It actually didn't work all that great on this stuff. The dawn did a better job I think, but nothing worked very well, even the carb cleaner was only so effective.

Air box, intake tube, throttle body and IAC valve, upper and lower plenums, along with all the dingleberries hanging off the intake tube are clean, plus the intake elbow, taco tube, and snorkel tube. Oh and the shroud for the washer reservoir. Lexi helped me scrub them. The plastic and rubber parts got soaked in dawn and scrubbed then wiped down with simple green and rinsed.

The air box was by far the worst. It actually still has sand in it. I will let it dry out and try to remove the last of it with compressed air. Maybe a Swiffer duster will work? Lexi did the bulk of the scrubbing (I love my wife so much!) while I cleaned up the throttle body and IAC. I think the oil actually entered through the bottom of the IAC where there is a return tube to the crank case/head. This is how the IAC naturally drains oil back into the engine when it catches it from the PCV valve. That's my theory at least.

I still have to clean the washer reservoir (outside, inside looks pretty good) and the headlight, plus more of the inner fender, inside the bumper, skid plates, etc.

I will sometime this week or weekend pull the plugs and give her a crank when I get the top end reassembled. Was hoping to do that today but didn't want to rush it all.

Now I have about 20 gallons of water to dispose of. I plan on filtering it a few times so I can return most of the water to the ground and toss the filters and sand.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 10-12-2014 at 03:38 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Productive day with no pictures.

Pulled the spark plugs. Cyl 4 was oily, other 5 looked OK. Looked down into the ports and saw 1,2,5,6 full of oil. Intake valves on 3 and 4 were open and allowed the oil into the cylinders. I mopped up what I could up top, then turned the engine over. A bunch of oil shot out but there was still a lot in the cylinders, especially 3 and 4. I used a mityvac to remove the rest. Reinstalled the plugs and got as far as the lower plenum. Tomorrow I'll have it running.

Hey cool! Always glad to hear progress.

I am moving right now so my life is surrounded by cardboard boxes and honey do lists that come every 5 minutes or so lol.

Good news is I got my two car garage!!....but it looks more like a quarter car garage till I get everything moved around. I also have no pictures lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Great to hear!

I just got her started up! She runs great, except for the smoke screen I created. Had to shut it down after a few minutes because it smoked out the neighborhood. I expect that to last for several dozen more minutes, so I will have to wait to a windy day or just do it in small increments.

Awesome! Glad to hear!
    My signature

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast