Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

I am nearly ready to call this quarter panel "DONE!"

This part didn't come out very well:

I will try to stuff the football back in there and see if I can get it pushed out a little bit.

This is still a problem area. I will be looking under the hatch to see how to unweld, pull it out, and reweld. Can't get to it right now, so it will just have to stay for now.

Whole section still doesn't look right:

Not sure what else I can do there, but I don't think I am going to really worry too much. It is still an offroad vehicle.

So as of now the quarter is done. I still have to grind off some stud remnants, hammer down some high spots and get rid of the stud pimples. Also a few holes to weld up. I never did get an answer from Monstaliner concerning coating over bondo and what spray primer is acceptable; looks like some more research for me!

Thanks for the kind words. Pictures don't do the lumpy panel justice. It is still pretty nasty looking, lumpy, and extremely far from perfect.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

From everything I have read and experienced most primers will be acceptable except self-etching. What has been recommended is 2k primer but as always you scuff the surface well before applying monstaliner.

As far as the bodywork I think it looks pretty good. It certainly is a large improvement over what it was and I imagine that once the surface isn't so glossy (after the monstaliner) it will look even better.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Didn't do much this weekend. Stupid bad back.

Removed my bad tire so I can get the two fixed maybe next weekend.

Replaced the filler neck boot and fuel filler door and adjusted it to be OK. I think I will spend a few more minutes tweaking it.

Finished off the door wiring and such. My battery is completely dead now, won't even hold a charge. Diehard Platinum from 12/08 so it is not exactly new. I'll get it replaced next weekend when I'm out and about with the tires. Probably go to a larger size while I'm at it. Cannot get the left-right movement on the mirrors to work either, but I think that might be a voltage issue.

Hung the fender and got it aligned pretty good. I might tweak it a bit up by the A pillar, but it is pretty OK.

Next is the roof. Hopefully my back feels better by next weekend.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Didn't do much this weekend. Stupid bad back.

Removed my bad tire so I can get the two fixed maybe next weekend.

Replaced the filler neck boot and fuel filler door and adjusted it to be OK. I think I will spend a few more minutes tweaking it.

Finished off the door wiring and such. My battery is completely dead now, won't even hold a charge. Diehard Platinum from 12/08 so it is not exactly new. I'll get it replaced next weekend when I'm out and about with the tires. Probably go to a larger size while I'm at it. Cannot get the left-right movement on the mirrors to work either, but I think that might be a voltage issue.

Hung the fender and got it aligned pretty good. I might tweak it a bit up by the A pillar, but it is pretty OK.

Next is the roof. Hopefully my back feels better by next weekend.
    I understand back pain. One of the reasons I'm making a new welding table is because the one I have was way wag too low. It had a table height of 25 inches. The new one is 39 inches and I am very pleased to say the frame is plumb square. I will have lots of pics tomorrow when it's finished.....provided I get off work in time.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Got my tires fixed today, and that's about all. I will work tomorrow on it, today is a dead day I think. It's another step though!

Bad news first:

I found more damage:

I am not really sure what to even think about that. Door looks misaligned, the top of the A pillar looks like it pulled away too. I think I will adjust the door and see if it leaks up there (or whistles) and if it does, fill it with sealant or something. I'm not worried about it too much, but it is definitely deformed.

Good News:

It is really coming along. All of the dots are areas that need to come up, circles are areas that need to come down.

I am really happy how the roof is coming out. Goal is to get it 75% and let the Bondo do the other ~15%. It took much less time than I thought it would. I still have the inner structure to fix, but I am confident that will go well.

Does anyone have experience with seam sealers? I am starting to get to the point of needing it.

might have a slight trapazoid shape to the cab. I'm sure I do looking at my door seals, but It wont bother anything.

Yeah, I'm not super concerned.

I do have to say, a body swap would probably have been the better choice, but I'm glad I kept the original body.

No experience with seam sealers but I imagine it's like caulking.

Truck is looking great man!! Every pic looks better.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

i used seam sealer on all welds that were not exterior facing. like i had a bunch of welds underneath that got seam sealed after welding and then i took the extra step of using undercoating (where possible) to ensure that there was an extra layer between it and the seam sealed welds. i recommend it.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast