Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

Hopefully you haven't put the interior back in as this might be beneficial for us to do since we are doing full length racks.

http://www.livingoverland.com/2012/0...-roof.html?m=1

I just read it and it makes sense. Most painful thing to do is remove the headliner.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

On my to do list.

I'm actually looking into alternatives to the stock headliner.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    On my to do list.

I'm actually looking into alternatives to the stock headliner.
    Now is your chance to upgrade.

Yes, sorry I had to go there.

It has been discussed.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Right rear is all finished with metal work (except for the bumper, that will have to come later).

Sanded and ready for acetone:

Found the body seam on the D pillar:

Filler:

Filler seems just a bit harder to work with than a traditional Bondo type polyester filler. Hopefully I got enough hardener in the mix (that is always the hardest thing to figure out).

Last week, Lexi spent a couple of days attacking the rest of the paint with a Scotchbrite pad to knock down the clear coat in prep for the Monstaliner.

Body filler is a fickle thing. You have to mix enough to work an area but not too much as you will end up with a rough patch like pictured.

You can tell if you used too much hardener by the surface smoothness after it dries (convenient right?) Or if the surface does not totally dry. It's not the easiest stuff to work with but once you get the hang of it I prefer it for its bonding qualities.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Yeah, I just over worked it. I had it pretty smooth but wanted it smoother, I made it worse.

Sanded that stuff down and threw on another coat to dry over night. It's actually coming out really good. I am so thankful Lexi is helping me sand, I couldn't do it without her.

after trying my hand at body work, i appreciate more those who do it well for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    after trying my hand at body work, i appreciate more those who do it well for a living!
    Ditto on that!! Filler is great but it always takes a batch or two for me to get it down again. Makes you appreciate what they charge you for doing a perfect job the first time.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Completely agree! To me, body work has been the worst part of all of this. I think one more weekend of hammering, applying filler, sanding, etc. and it will be done. The roof is ready, the left side needs a little work before filler, hopefully I can get that done today or during the week.

It is really crunch time for me. 5 weekends left until she rolls for Mojave, and there is much to do. I know some things will not be done in time, but I would like to have a good vehicle to roll out there with. And I will!

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast