Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I have some ideas I want to play with. Might cut up my old driver's door for some steel to reinforce it.
    I still have that half inch square too. You could incorporate your overhead console into roof reinforcement?

Reason I mention this is depending on how things go studying for the ham exam I might be headed down the hill to pick up a battery for my buddy, get the roof rack supplies from k and H metals, and if you wanted some of that scrap I have it would be possible for me to drop that off at your house. Considering I have yet to study for the exam (I just read about it) this may or may not happen but I wanted to toss it out there.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks for the offer! If it's not too inconvenient that would be awesome.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Thanks for the offer! If it's not too inconvenient that would be awesome.
    If I end up coming down I will definitely drop by with the steel.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

You made a lot of progress, looks good.

I don't think I could've done something like your doing.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Thanks! It sure has been alot of work, but in many ways, the 4runner will be better than ever.

I got a new battery yesterday. Got a Group 65 (about twice the size of what I had, a 35R I believe) and will have to customize the bracket a little bit, but not bad. I did have to lengthen the cable to the fuse box just slightly. Soldered and covered in marine heatshrink.

I also fixed my mirror switch. Somehow one of the traces had broken, not allowing the mirrors to go left or right. Some more solder fixed that, but I will probably try to find a new one.

Electrical connectors are on their way, but it will be a few weeks until I get them, and then probably a few more weeks until I can start the rewire.

Today I will place my orders for body prep stuff, seam sealers and such.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

hey Sean I used Dynatron 550 seam sealer yesterday. Its cheap and stick upside down. You cant really smooth it out very well and it wont ever be sandable. Id say its real similar to RTV but it starts setting up in 5 minutes and cant be disturbed after that or is balls up and gets chunky.

Thanks Troy. I actually found a different product to use. I will still be buying seam sealer for a few places. More on that maybe tomorrow.

Ordered my body filler, 2k primer, And seam sealer. 200 for it, not bad, I guess. Went with a metal filler, suppose to be similar to lead for body work.

So more progress. Got my body work stuff in the mail.

I ordered:

2 Quarts of this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082LFAI6/...657650_TE_item
    The metal body filler is suppose to be more robust than the polyester stuff. Should be great for what I need it for. I might even use it to build up my deficient jambs a little bit.

2 Tubes of this: http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-sea...cartridge.html
    Generic seam sealer to seal up some seams as well as the inner structure-outer skin interface on the roof.

3 Cans of this: http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2...imer-gray.html
    A bit expensive, but keeps me from having to purchase a gun and spray 2k primer the old fashion way. I only need it for a few spots.

Today I started pretty late but got the welds on the roof ground flat, plus sprayed primer where the stud gun had burned the paint away on the underside of the roof, and on the new roof panel to keep it from rusting. I will seam seal that joint from the inside, and I might use a rubber undercoating in the area to deal with noise, not sure.

I removed the compressor and massaged out the dent in the wheel well with a BFH. It worked pretty well. The right side might actually be easier than the left. I also removed the last 2 door panels in prep for interior welding on the roof structure tomorrow. Lexi helped me by cleaning up the last of the oily engine bay parts and motivating me to do something today!

I have made a few more decisions on how to proceed. I am pretty sick of dealing with those TYC headlight housings. I am going to try to find some 96-98 housings in good condition that I can swap the glass on. Any leads?

I will be reusing my old roof rack (from what is salvageable) and redoing the front of the rack. Might not happen by Mojave, but I expect to have it done before summer.

I am working on a list to capture all of the little details that cannot be ignored.

Shoot I would try and find some 99+ housings. They are the same and have the diamond reflectors. There was a set for sale on t4r.org but they're gone sadly. I would love to upgrade mine but I can't find OEM headlights anywhere.....and I would hate to see what the dealer wants.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast