Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

Today or tomorrow might see the engine running. We'll see. Gotta clean out the sand so it doesn't drop down the spark plug holes.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I was going to ask about this but saw you've been busy with other stuff.

I was delighted at how much sand I didn't get in the interior of the 4Runner. I was surprised considering I got in and out more than I ever have during the recovery. The floor mat sand is pretty easy to vacuum up but my vents and usual sand pockets weren't as bad as in the past.

For those dents way up in the front of the roof near the windshield, we had some luck on a buddies Tacoma wedging a deflated ball in there (we used a football) and inflating it with the compressor and a needle kit, and POP, the dent came out. Cant guarantee it, but worth a shot to see if it works for you!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Saw the bags on Eastwood. I'll play with it more In a few days. Today is a day off. I'm tired.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 09-29-2014 at 05:47 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Above is a patch panel for my sunroof. I will have it laser cut at work, then cut notches so I can fold down a flange and use it to weld to the existing flanged opening. Making it out of 16 (0.060") or 14 (0.074") gauge steel (I'll see what the cost difference is).

I will eventually put up the opening with dimensions. My goal is something close, as I am sure there will be quite a bit of weld, seam sealer, and bondo to get it all finished up.

I haven't really felt like working on it after work, but I know I will have to start doing so to get it back on the road in a timely manner. Tomorrow I hope to get it started.

You had me at LASER.

Hopefully no miniature clones hump the laser, especially when it's cutting my part!

So, it is too hot this weekend to work on the truck. Last week was a wash too. Between being tired from work and it getting dark 1.5 hours after I get home, nothing got done.

Tomorrow is going to be another day of little work. I do plan on starting the engine soon, although I found a pretty large pile of oily sand in the air box which will have to be dealt with before that happens. I am going to go pick up a stud welder and some other supplies tomorrow.

My patch panel should come in next week or the week after, but I'm not quite ready to do it yet anyway. I have to move some stuff so I can get the truck near the welder outlet. Or finally break down and buy an extension cord for it.

After pulling the rack and looking at the rest of the roof better, it isn't as bad as I thought it was. The roof rails are toast, as seen in some of those pictures, and there may be one dent, but really it held up very well. Not sure how I am going to go about reattaching the roof rack, but it will be better than the factory solution.

Some plans have become more finalized.

Goal is to get it on the road soon but also get it "finished" before it really leaves the driveway. This means a few things:
    Bodywork on the rear quarters needs to be completed sooner than later.
    Decided to go the Monstaliner route, and that will be done as well.
    Roof Rack will be rebuilt at the same time.
    Looking into my options for low cost body insulation to apply inside while all the panels are out. Thinking just a couple layers of the foil lined bubble wrap might be a great cost effective solution, but I need to do some research on that.
    Working on preliminary designs for the roof console. Thinking of putting my tablet mount up there as well, but we'll see. I will probably do a (few) cardboard mockups to test things out before I commit it to metal.

So that's where we stand now. I am itching to get working on it again.

I think the goal for on the road is probably January 1. I will try to work out a budget and schedule soon.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 10-04-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Jan 1 sounds like a reasonable date. Hope to see you out there soon - good luck with the repairs (and inevitable upgrades)!

Your plans sound good. Whatever you do with sound deadening, I would stick with something on the lighter side. I am guessing the bubble wrap is pretty light, but that asphault stuff can add up to 150+ pounds. The Monstaliner itself will be heavy, but should offer some insulating properties as well.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast