Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

It hurts to watch, but most importantly, you guys are okay. The dunes are nasty; it is so easy to get in trouble out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Thanks Dan. The driver's door is pretty crushed, especially around the hinge area. From my VW experience, I suspect it will be pretty messed up. Because of the fender being pushed so far in, I can't open the driver's door all the way. The other doors are OK (besides preexisting damage on the passenger side) except for some hilift jack scrapes and dents. Hood I think is OK but the driver's headlight looks like it is sticking out more than normal, so it might be a little tweaked. Lift gate is fine. All the doors and windows operate as normal, which I am pleasantly surprised by.

The motor ran for a few mins after we rolled. I shut it off before getting out of the truck. It sat upside down for about half an hour, so we didn't attempt to turn it over. I will pull the plugs and give her a crank to let the oil squirt out, but that might be next weekend.

I am looking up roll cage stuff now
    There was a guy who rolled his 4runner and cut the top off like the 1st gen and then replaced it with a soft top and roll cage. It looked pretty sweet imo. I think the thread is over on yotatech?
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Very familiar with Brad's truck! I am thinking a partial exo, but we will see. Still looking.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Pretty cool to see the dash cam footage. I guess it was 1.5 times but looked like 2.5. You guys fared pretty well and yes that was a hell of a recovery. I was exhausted.

Keep us up to date on the damage and options. I'd do a body swap or pull off all your stuff and put it on a replacement 3rd gen before I'd do a Mossyrocks build. Even if you do a partial exo it can be done down the road after getting into a reliable rig.

I think the goal for this will be "as inexpensive as possible." I might splurge on a cage and some other refinements, but it's mostly about pounding it back towards its original shape and wheelin' again. Now that the roof sheet metal has seen some pretty good plastic deformation, it will never be the same. If there is a next time, I doubt it will perform the same.

Found ebay fenders for under 100 shipped each side, not bad.

Deciding between a tube bender and getting it done by a shop. I'm leaning towards a bender of my own.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm with Mike, I think a body swap would be the way to go. A cage just adds more weight and complexity, and quite frankly, more top-heaviness.

Finding a clean body could cost less than having the paint issues on your old body fixed.

Replacement panels can be had but you still have to deal with the body. Like you said, it won't perform the same a second time but with a sunroof and the damage to the rear quarter panels it's dicey.

Pieces here and there, paint/wrap, banging out here and there is going to take time and nickle and dime you.

It looks like this is a 2wd and only an SR2 but it looks clean and a place to start. I assume you'd have to brush up on your Spanish or take someone with you.
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4675900736.html

Another option:
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4676384138.html

Or come up here and use a 4Runner as an excuse to visit.
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4679294874.html

BTW, green is the way to go. You've got the parts to make this a 4wd.
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4677424258.html

Bang it out and run it. It cost me 2k I think when I rolled mine to get it semi straight and painted. You are more handy then me and the damages looks easier to fix.

If insurance helps you out you'll get good money, but your rates will go up so I feel thats a wash.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 09-21-2014 at 10:40 PM.

No full coverage, so no help there. I'm with Troy. If I want a nice 4Runner again, I will buy another one down the road.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast