Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's Roll and Rebuild

For the most part, the 4Runner rebuild is finished. It took me just under 6 months and approximately $1500 to get her where she is today. She is now affectionately known as "The Avocado".

There are still some lingering issues from the roll that I will address over the next few months:

I have no headliner, and no insulation, which makes it very hot and oven-like.
    I have no visors (need one clip to replace one that broke disassembled) and no center rearview mirror. I actually don't miss the mirror too much.
    Still needs a roof rack.
    Virtually all of the aftermarket electrical needs to be redone.
    Small exhaust leak at the replacement Cat that will have to be dealt with soon.

So far everything has been working well. 4Runner did about 500 miles over the last couple of weeks, ~150 was offroad. Mechanically she is tip top.

Most of the work to be done will be recorded outside of this thread, except maybe the headliner parts, as that is directly related to the roll.

I would really like to thank all of you for your kind words and encouragement. It has not been an easy 6 months, but I am better for it, and in many ways, so is the 4Runner. I absolutely couldn't have done this without my very supportive and helpful wife. Alexus spent so many hours scrubbing, sanding, and prepping, not to mention kicking me out of the house and into the garage on days I didn't feel like working.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Great to see it's getting to where it needs to be Sean. 6 months! Wow, time flies and that means Pismo is only 6 months away.

Thanks for taking the time to bring us along on your journey. The arm chair, fume free and dust free rebuild journey.

Is the reason for a lot of the aftermarket wiring needing to be done because of the console you had built and that area taking such a hit?

So many of those systems and circuits were done with what I had and on a deadline. Redoing them means they will be consistent and of better quality.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Been there, done that. There are a few things I'd love to have the time to redo just because. Wiring gets the OCD in me running real good.

Yep. Now that I have waterproof connectors, most things are getting that treatment. I will be building a new roof console, with more functionality and a pretty sweet little gizmo I hope to be debuting on this website that should be a great accessory for our older vehicles.

Everything (except for a few choice devices) will be operated with relays with switched grounds. I would like to do waterproof relays, but the price is just too high for me. I have only had one relay fail due to water intrusion, and that was due to a bad mounting position more than anything with the wire lead rain directly into the bottom of the relay. Everything that isn't sealed with a rubber gasket gets a healthy dose of dielectric grease.

Also looking to do some new rock lights and some improved forward lighting.

Are you planning on reinstalling a headliner or just leaving it. There are some spray sound deadeners that will probably clean up the roof line and help with the oven effect.

The only other idea I had if you want to make your own is using spray insulation and then smoothing it. It would be really effective for heat shielding though.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Truck looked great at Mojave tho. Did an awesome job. Good luck with the finishing touches left
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Thanks! It's the detail work that SUCKS! But I can take my time.

I am kid-in-a-candy-store happy you have her up and running again Sean! Many more good times to come for you and Alexis with Mr. Avocado.

When is the supercharger going on? :-)

After I can complete the transmission mods and maybe not until I can get a 7th injector. How bad was it without the 7th? And what plugs are you using with the SC?

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast