Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Pismo Jamoboree

2014 Pismo Jamoboree

Another great year in the dunes. Fun people, good rig watching and of course adventure. The Adventure Award goes to Seanz0rz.

Thanks to all that went into it, those that helped and those that attended. Also to the sponsors, Savage Offroad, Warn, Adventure Medical Kits, Overland Journal, Run Cool, Splash Cafe, Spunsor.com and Ultimate Yota.

I showed up on Friday to a somewhat small and dispersed camp. The 120 guys were down the beach some and at the main camp, Green Camp was in a different corner than I'm used to. Rigs trickled in throughout the afternoon with the normal stucks and good people watching.

After dinner and after the sun went down Sean, JC and myself decided to go out on a quick night run. Just a little something before getting a good nights rest. Needless to say we did have a short run but a three hour or so recovery.

Beginning of the night run:

End of the night run:

You can see the tire tracks up at the top of the light. Then the dark glass pieces a little way down. She came to rest near the middle of all the foot prints.

Flipping the truck back on it's wheels was the easiest part. Upon flipping the rear drivers tire lost the rest of it's air and the front drivers tire had a bead off the rim. We tried jacking, airing, pulling, pushing, digging and sweating to move the beast with little results. Pismo and camp is always alive and hopping so I made a way point on the GPS of the wreck and returned to camp to get some back up. I had visions of returning with at least 10 trucks, spots lights, winches and cheering but camp was a ghost town.

There were two guys still awake but they were folding up their chairs and heading to bed. It was about 1:15am at that point and I stared at a smoldering camp fire thinking CRAP. I walked over to Lance's trailer and thought for a moment before knocking. Inside was his 18 month old son and wife. I was certain the knocking would wake everyone and at that hour Lance would have visions of some drunk guy looking for a place to crash. I knocked lightly and whispered Lance. I think he likes dreaming while hearing his name whispered because it took about 10 minutes before he came to the door. I was just glad he was dressed and I didn't hear a shotgun being racked while on his stoop.

I gave him the news and he packed some stuff and we went out. I must say, he saved the day. It still took some time but his 100 series moved Sean's truck where the 3rd gens had zero luck. The truck would not roll, but rather pushed sand. The only way out of the bowl was to drag the carcass up hill and Lance was able to do it. At the top we had to double stuff Sean's receiver and have two rigs pull. In the end we moved him a little too far but not after some sand rooster tails.

At the top we went to reseating beads. We were having tough luck before Lance and even with him and his CO2 we had to do a lot of jacking, digging and strapping.

Uncle Lance to the rescue.

Waiting for that pop when a bead seats. The tank was pumping CO2 but no pop. I snapped a pic and ducked for cover. Sean and Lance wanted a front row seat to the action.

Lance had the beef to pull Sean to camp and did so like a champ. Pulling a heavy rig through the soft night time sand is a chore and we got to camp with zero issues. Bed time was 3am.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 09-22-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Drivers meeting

Picture time. Of course Sean was missing but so were quite a few other rigs. Seems like a lot of people missed out on the message this year.

We had a little morning run and a race down at the track but returned for some food and to tow Sean to the road for a tow home.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 09-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.

The green 3rd gens accompanied one of it's own out to the curb. No one left behind.

The green 3rd gen procession

Part of the tow drivers paperwork must have included a spot for gender because he crawled under and got a good look before returning to his clip board.

Here is Sean grabbing towards his beauty. Don't gooooooo.

Part of this experience gave me a little motivation. Sorry Sean, had to do it.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 09-21-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Mas.

While we were out driving around Kaffine got on the radio wondering where we were. He gave it a college try getting to us but in the end we had to go to him. When we first saw him his light bar was parallel with the horizon. The it was at a 30* angle and he radioed for assistance. He was pretty close to pulling a Seanz0rz but kept his cool. The pictures don't do it justice. He was in quite a pickle and with two rigs and two straps he was straightened out and pulled out under his own power.

Hey mike,

I agree, yet another great year at Pismo. ( Thank you Lance & Chris ) I can happily say I've been there for 5 years straight and its all smiles the whole weekend every time! Terrible news what happened to Sean's rig, but on the bright side, it kept him and this passenger safe and untouched!

Also, sorry if we caused too much commotion. We always try to camp the furthest from the trailers since the group tends to get loud at times. We don't want to disturb the people who love sleep, or wake the future Toyota drivers!

This year for Pismo was an interesting adventure for me. I had the truck loaded up and ready to go by Wednesday. On the way home from school, it decided to pop the Cooling fan bracket. Being only 1.7 miles from home, I tried to limp it. But I ended up just towing it home. Dropped it in the drive way at 2:40 in the morning, and went to bed. Next morning, I took the day off work, ordered a factory AISIN bracket, made multiple cups of coffee and got to it. Toyota needed about 4-5 hours to even get it to the nearest Toyota dealership. So after tearing it all down, I had time to kill, so I swapped the gear oil out in the differentials and wired up my stereo. Needless to say, I got everything done just short of leaving for Pismo. I fired it up, burped the radiator, filled up gas and was on my way!

Just for reference: Autozone Fan bracket:

Toyota fan bracket:

Anywho. Made it to Pismo. got some great shots of the rig. Had some awesome conversations with everybody, associating forum names to faces. Always a great time, for sure. Here's the pictures:

800+ miles round trip!
    1992 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0 V6 5 Speed - It's Modified.

Glad to hear you had a good time and was able to make it on the road.

I assume by the fact it had an AutoZone bracket, it's broken before? Is that a common break?

I didn't think you guys were too loud, just in a different spot than I was used to. I sleep in my 4Runner so it's usually pretty quiet but I also don't like sleeping in a tent on the sand or around vehicles that are driving around me in the middle of the night. This year I slept pretty well. The first night I was exhausted and we didn't get back until 3am. By the second night I had sleep to make up and by midnight I was out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Glad to hear you had a good time and was able to make it on the road.

I assume by the fact it had an AutoZone bracket, it's broken before? Is that a common break?

I didn't think you guys were too loud, just in a different spot than I was used to. I sleep in my 4Runner so it's usually pretty quiet but I also don't like sleeping in a tent on the sand or around vehicles that are driving around me in the middle of the night. This year I slept pretty well. The first night I was exhausted and we didn't get back until 3am. By the second night I had sleep to make up and by midnight I was out.
    I'd assume so the previous owner must have replaced it when he had the timing belt/water pump done. but now I have an aisin one in there, should be good to go for awhile.

I slept like a rock every night. I didn't go too crazy this year. I would've came and helped Sean had I been awake! you guys got back pretty late, but I'm sure my winch would've helped a little bit.
    1992 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0 V6 5 Speed - It's Modified.

Did anyone else take pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Did anyone else take pictures?
    I took a bunch, ill try and have them posted up tonight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast