Thread: Lone Pine CA problems with local sheriff

Lone Pine CA problems with local sheriff

When up at cerro gordo a couple weeks ago the caretaker Robert told us about the local lone pine sheriff had some sort of problem with offroad trucks. He talked about getting hassled for his vehicle and others having the same experience.

I didnt think much of it until we rolled through town and a sheriff wearing a tactical plate carrier vest stopped while walking toward his car and full arm pointed at me with a mean mug. On the way home we avoided lone pine by using dirt roads.

I asked my friend about it who grew up in the high desert and he also had a run in with a sheriff in lone pine. He and a friend were stopped and hit up for a slew of annoyance fix it tickets including lack of mudflaps, offroad light covers, non-DOT approved brake lines.

Just a heads up since I think most all of us have lots of little things not up to spec on our trucks. I've never worried about it before since I believe most cops understand the truck is made to be offroad and out of there hair to begin with. Lone pine is easy enough to skip via the dirt roads to the east of town. For all those with obvious modifications, your time may be well spent avoiding what ever issue is happening there. Its unfortunate since its a good gas and food point, but not worth the potential trouble.

If you are skipping Lone Pine, be sure to send a few emails to your favorite stops and the chamber of commerce about why you are not stopping in town.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Kinda odd if you ask me. I read some of the other complaints but there is nothing on the sheriff's site that is posted as a warning or specific reason to be looking for offroad vehicles that are modified.

Sounds like a bit of bad blood if you ask me.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

hmm the chamber of commerce would be a interesting one. They would have to want the lost revenue, and understand our trucks are actually safe to be on there streets. The second part of that would be tough I'd guess. "yeah my brake lines are stronger then stock, but they dont say DOT on them". I can see lots of confusion lol.

Then they'd have to call the sheriffs and ask them to add offroad trucks to the list of laws they don't enforce. "Pretend they are illegal immigrants" lol