Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woohoo! Just got my truck driving license!

Well, by now I think most of you know I landed this job in Washington, so it doesn't look like I'll be driving trucks anytime soon. No complaints from me…lol. New job pays pretty well, excellent benefits, 3 weeks vacation after my first year, and I'm back on the west coast. All of which is much better than just about any trucking jobs around here.

Kryptoroxx, did the steering on the rear axle of the power unit disable itself to make steering easier when disconnected from the cargo unit? Sorry about all my specific questions about it. I know I haven't posted as much on here since you joined, but the guys on here will tell you that I'm a big LEGO fan, and this sounds like something I'd like to build a remote control version of.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

It's news to me, congrats! What type of job will you be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    Well, by now I think most of you know I landed this job in Washington, so it doesn't look like I'll be driving trucks anytime soon. No complaints from meā€¦lol. New job pays pretty well, excellent benefits, 3 weeks vacation after my first year, and I'm back on the west coast. All of which is much better than just about any trucking jobs around here.

Kryptoroxx, did the steering on the rear axle of the power unit disable itself to make steering easier when disconnected from the cargo unit? Sorry about all my specific questions about it. I know I haven't posted as much on here since you joined, but the guys on here will tell you that I'm a big LEGO fan, and this sounds like something I'd like to build a remote control version of.
    Congrats!!

actually no it didn't. For driving around with just the mk48 (front half) you were supposed to install this steering block however it wasn't really needed. The hydraulic steering still worked. The rear axles didn't turn technically but the hinge in the middle was controlled by the hydraulic steering. The front two axles turned a little but not much. I would say 70/30 hydraulic to actual turning of wheels. The hydro winch was one of my favorites. 60k of pulling power!!! I did some serious damage with that thing. We had a snatch block for it that weighed 85lbs. Cable was 2 inches of steel cable.

I don't mind. It helps me remember all the great fun and mistakes I had driving that truck. I love Legos too!! I sadly don't have the time (or the cash really) to get the sets I would love to have but I would quickly run out of room to put the Lego projects anyway.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    It's news to me, congrats! What type of job will you be doing?
    I'm moving to Eastsound, WA, which is out on the San Juan Islands. I'll be a utilities planner for the local power company out there. The company serves the San Juan Islands, so my job will probably include lots of seaplane and ferry riding. I will finally be able to use the GIS and CAD skills that I went to school for, so I'm happy.

I'm thinking about starting one or two side gigs while I'm out there, so my CDL may eventually come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Congrats!!

actually no it didn't. For driving around with just the mk48 (front half) you were supposed to install this steering block however it wasn't really needed. The hydraulic steering still worked. The rear axles didn't turn technically but the hinge in the middle was controlled by the hydraulic steering. The front two axles turned a little but not much. I would say 70/30 hydraulic to actual turning of wheels. The hydro winch was one of my favorites. 60k of pulling power!!! I did some serious damage with that thing. We had a snatch block for it that weighed 85lbs. Cable was 2 inches of steel cable.

I don't mind. It helps me remember all the great fun and mistakes I had driving that truck. I love Legos too!! I sadly don't have the time (or the cash really) to get the sets I would love to have but I would quickly run out of room to put the Lego projects anyway.
    Interesting. I'm not sure I totally understand, but I'll have to revisit your post when I have more time and not busy packing.

I have no more space for my LEGO stuff, and it's scattered all over. My collection is so disorganized that it's getting to the point where it just makes it harder to build anything. I will most likely end up renting a house in WA (very few apartments out there), so I should have quite a bit more space. Yay!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I'm moving to Eastsound, WA, which is out on the San Juan Islands. I'll be a utilities planner for the local power company out there. The company serves the San Juan Islands, so my job will probably include lots of seaplane and ferry riding. I will finally be able to use the GIS and CAD skills that I went to school for, so I'm happy.

I'm thinking about starting one or two side gigs while I'm out there, so my CDL may eventually come in handy.

Interesting. I'm not sure I totally understand, but I'll have to revisit your post when I have more time and not busy packing.

I have no more space for my LEGO stuff, and it's scattered all over. My collection is so disorganized that it's getting to the point where it just makes it harder to build anything. I will most likely end up renting a house in WA (very few apartments out there), so I should have quite a bit more space. Yay!
    I've been up in the San Juan islands area and man you're in for a treat. Beautiful country and I truly mean that. A lot of ferry time will be involved. It's kind of refreshing to do the ferry as you have time to kill. It makes you take time out of your day to relax a little. Also forces you to package all of your errands in trips because sometimes ferry time can be well over an hour.

As for clarification on the steering the mk48 has all the steering components on it to reduce hydraulic lines which need connectors. The stinger swings on the 48 via hydraulic cylinders. The rear half bolts directly to the stinger and that's how the majority of the steering is done.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Beautiful area Dan. Are you able to keep a vehicle while on the islands? It doesn't appear you'd be racking up the miles but leaving it on the other side of the country would be hard to do.

Dan, you lucky bast*rd. Sounds like my dream job, in my dream place. I go to the San Juans every year and it is simply stunning up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I've been up in the San Juan islands area and man you're in for a treat. Beautiful country and I truly mean that. A lot of ferry time will be involved. It's kind of refreshing to do the ferry as you have time to kill. It makes you take time out of your day to relax a little. Also forces you to package all of your errands in trips because sometimes ferry time can be well over an hour.
    I was out there last week for an in-person interview, and the ferry ride was awesome. I'm sure it will get old after a while, especially having to arrive to the ferry landing really early on the weekends and summer. Once I get settle in, I plan on going back to mainland about once a month for supplies, and I'll probably coordinate that with the Seattle LEGO group meetings.

As for clarification on the steering the mk48 has all the steering components on it to reduce hydraulic lines which need connectors. The stinger swings on the 48 via hydraulic cylinders. The rear half bolts directly to the stinger and that's how the majority of the steering is done.
    Thanks for the clarification. Do both axles on the 48 steer when the rear half is disconnected? I guess I'm trying to figure out how the 48 steers while driving around by itself. It seems like the rear axle on the 48 would have to be locked out or something, otherwise the 48 would just be sorta crabbing instead of steering. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Beautiful area Dan. Are you able to keep a vehicle while on the islands? It doesn't appear you'd be racking up the miles but leaving it on the other side of the country would be hard to do.
    Yeah, I'm bringing the 4Runner. I'll be pulling a 5x8 u-haul trailer when I move out there. The island is about 50 square miles, iirc, so I probably won't be racking up too many miles. The drive to the ferry landing is about 25 minutes from town, and driving from one tip of the island to the other would probably take close to an hour. I'd like to find a place within a 10 or 15 minutes drive to work, but I would really like to be able to just bike to work instead.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    Dan, you lucky bast*rd. Sounds like my dream job, in my dream place. I go to the San Juans every year and it is simply stunning up there.
    Well cool! I hope to have a guest room setup once I get a place, so if you like, there's a free place for you all to stay next time you go. I think they are still hiring for a few other positions.

Long-term rentals are hard to find out there, but I'm looking at a 3br/2ba house with a nice view of Eastbound bay. Price isn't bad, but something lower would be better. Once I get through my 6 month probationary period, I'd probably start looking to buy a house, or maybe build my own.

I'm going to miss my Taco Bell, Wendy's, and Papa Johns; but at least I can get my fast food fix whenever I go back to mainland.

I'd like to maybe buy a sea kayak, and I've been wondering if there is any kite-surfing out there. Kite-surfing always looked like fun to me, and it seems like the protected bays and windy conditions there would work well for it. Maybe it's too windy…I dunno.

Sorry, I'm rambling on here...
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 11-20-2014 at 04:42 PM.

The 48 steers like crap when it is by itself and it is very very slow. You have to engage the transfer case lock otherwise you will never go anywhere since the rear cargo unit is not connected. The first axle turns and then the second axle kinda just leans and drags. The "trailer" is held in turn by hydraulic arms forcing it to stay in a turn or stay straight while backing.

The hydro arms are MASSIVE. I believe they are the same size as on a John Deere 10k front loader and there are two of them.

When driving this thing by itself you have to engage the front suspension lock otherwise the stinger (which has to weigh 2000 by itself will slam on the ground and you will have a section leader (me) or the MT chief jumping down your throat. It's a pain to lift it back up.

Just a much better pic of the 48 by itself. The guides slide into the rear unit and then you connect all the little odds and ends including a 1.5" hydro hose (cussing helps....a lot of it)

On top is a Detroit v8 diesel that is turbocharged with a blower. If either go out you know immediately. Your speed goes from slow.....to riding lawnmower slow. Also note the thin metal that is known as the cab. It is a very loud environment. I was almost deaf when I picked up Sergeant but since then almost all of my hearing has returned.

It's the only picture I have of the rear unit. You can see where everything kinda slides together and then bolts up.
    They are starting to sell these off for about 6k apiece. If you can keep them rolling they are extremely powerful but hopefully you aren't on the 395 where gas is scare. It gets 3mpg empty. It gets gallons to the mile when it's loaded lol.

Hope this helps. I know it sounded like straight Japanese when I was trying to just explain it.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks for the pics! It took me long enough, but I get it now…lol. Awesome truck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast