Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Woohoo! Just got my truck driving license!

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    Thanks for the pics! It took me long enough, but I get it now…lol. Awesome truck.
    It was a fun truck to drive even with how slow it was.

If you decide to make an rc version I would love to see pics.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Yeah, I'll see if I can build a LEGO RC version of one of these. I was planning to build an Oshkosh MMRS wrecker, but I'll see if I can build one of these truck first. I have a few other projects to finish before I get to this. All the motors will have to be in the power unit, and the coupling system is going to be the challenging part of the build. I'd like to see if I can build 2, maybe 3 trailers.

I have a LEGO thread floating around here somewhere, so I'll post a video and pictures to that once I'm done.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I was actually looking at my set of Legos trying to decide if I could make a 4runner the other day.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

This is only loosely related to this conversation but when I read about an rc version it made me remember these youtube videos where the guy made his own 3rd gen chassis. The videos are cool; everything is scaled to look life-sized.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkl-_1Bwgcs

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    This is only loosely related to this conversation but when I read about an rc version it made me remember these youtube videos where the guy made his own 3rd gen chassis. The videos are cool; everything is scaled to look life-sized.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkl-_1Bwgcs
    Always wanted to make a scale like that. I have an older kyosho 777sp2 and it's still fun to drag out and run now and again. The scale rc stuff is pretty neat imo.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Made it to Eastsound yesterday. I found a two bedroom duplex, and it's not bad. It's a bit on the small side, but it should work great for now. Best thing about it is the month-to-month lease. Once my 6 month probationary period at work is up, I'll be looking for a house or cabin to rent, or maybe buy.

The drive went well, and the 4Runner pulled the trailer great! Both the trailer and 4Runner were packed to the roof. Definitely slow on the hills, but I just pretended I was driving my 2nd gen. Never dropped below 55 on the hills and had to put it in 3rd maybe a dozen times (mostly in WA and OR). The most difficult part of the drive was between Ogallala, NE, and Laramie, WY. It's a gradual uphill climb the entire way, plus I had a strong headwind through most of it. I spent more time in 4th gear than I did 5th. That wasn't fun.

Anyway, I'm here now, and I start work on the 15th. I stopped by work today to take care of the power for my rental, and one of the ladies who interviewed me noticed that I was there and introduced me to everyone. Looks like a great place to work, and they've got work stacked up for me already....lol.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Glad to hear you made it there with everything and in one piece. Sounds like things are already going pretty smooth.

Once you unpack the camera you better start taking some pics and post up.

Yay! Message Lexi your mailing address!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Congrats Dan, glad the drive out went smoothly. As you well know, I spend time up there every year and absolutely love the San Juans. Most of my experience is with the various harbors since we travel by boat (like Friday Harbor where the customs dock is located), but the islands are all beautiful with lots of outdoor opportunities. If I lived there I would hike, paddleboard and kayak every day.

Roche Harbor on San Juan Island seems to attract the richest of the rich--you can go down to the docs and walk onto $8M yachts, if you like that sort of thing. (I like anything with an engine and it seems you do too.)

82-foot Ocean Alexander with crab livewell. Note the 2,000 gallon fuel capacity. Diesel was $5/gal at the dock last year, so do the math on that fillup.

My electric car maxes out at 240V, 27 amps to charge. Shorepower for this yacht requires FOUR 50 amp NEMA 14-50 services!

Modest galley:

Roche Harbor itself is pretty nice too:

You should start an island living blog so us landlubbers can live vicariously.

That's awesome! I haven't been to any of the other islands yet, but my job will cover all of the San Juan Islands (including those that don't have regular ferry service), so I'm sure I'll get to see more. I'll have to check out those yachts. Looks awesome!

I'll definitely be taking more pictures, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a huge fan of my 18-135 lens. I love the range, but images aren't nearly as sharp as my nifty-fifty lens (cheap but really good 50mm prime that Canon makes). I may work on upgrading my camera once I get all my other household stuff squared away (need to buy some furniture, TV, etc).

Sean will do! I'll have to look up my zip code...lol.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast