Thread: Cutting the cord on cable TV--Amazon Instant Watch?

Cutting the cord on cable TV--Amazon Instant Watch?

I cut the cord from cable TV in 2010 but I find myself in need of more content. I have an internet connected TV and a Netflix subscription, which has done a pretty good job of keeping me happy. Now that the wife is home for the next few months with the baby (not me, the other baby), she has the desire for more content. Knowing full well what would happen, I told her to get online and pick the cable package she wanted, and when she saw the prices of $200/month, her interest in getting cable again disappeared. So I'm here looking for new streaming content, and it looks like Amazon Instant Video may be the answer. Does anyone use it, and if so, what do you think?

I'm not willing to pay even $100 a month for cable, and quite frankly $100/month wouldn't even get us the programs we want, but I AM willing to do the pay-per-use or pay-per-season here and there for things we like to watch like Top Gear, the various home improvement/HGTV type shows, House of Cards, etc. Or pay the $100/yr for an Amazon Prime membership where all the content is free. Comments?

Pay the 100 per year man. Totally worth it. Situation will dictate but 100 per year for free shipping on almost everything vs a quarter tank of gas for each trip to Walmart (closest major store) is a steal and a half. 85-90% of all of our goods are purchased through amazon.

I do Netflix and Hulu too so per month I might spend 100 for my Internet and all of my show access but that includes the huge amount of free 2 day shipping I get all year round.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

We haven't had cable since 2007 and don't really miss it. Just a couple months ago we signed up for amazon prime and are pretty happy with it. I've been catching up on all the Top Gear episodes and both Miki and I have been finding some interesting sci-fi shows like Falling Skies, Defiance and Under the Dome. They've also got The Pacific, which is the pacific version of band of brothers.

In short, we like it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I bought Hanna a Google Chromecast dongle yesterday to get her started. $28 right now at wallyworld and it comes with two free months of Hulu Plus. What I have noticed with Hulu already is a difference between content available on their website versus what is available from the android app--apparently this has everything to do with digital media licensing and whether or not a network wants to allow their show to be viewable on computer only, or available for streaming by smart tvs, tablets and phones. The nice thing about chromecast is it will project anything I can bring up in the Google Chrome browser and send it to the tv, regardless of the media licensing restrictions in Hulu or any other subscription site. So far the Chromecast looks like an obvious choice for people in the Android/Chromebook or Chrome browser (with extensions) world.

I might go the Amazon Prime/Instant watch route too.