Thread: Power Steering Pump Leaking/Alignment

Power Steering Pump Leaking/Alignment

Recently got an alignment and I had noticed the PS hose was leaking (or so I thought). So reman pump is about 150-50 core (delco reman) or $115-60 core (cardone) or I could do a seal kit. Seal kit is 10-15 bucks and I even found a few write ups, but dang its pretty involved to do http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-5vz-fe.html

I also just got the BEST alignment this truck has ever had, honestly every alignment I have had in the last 3-4 years SUCKED. Wheel was always off to 10 o'clock no matter how much I complained and truck always pulled to the road crown. Hell, one shop got me for a-arm bushings and a power steering box as well. They were the last ones to align it (3x too!) and no wonder it drove like shit.. The latest place I found the guy has a brand new snap on john bean setup, he puts it on and every single spec is way outta whack.

Adjusted everything in spec and wow it drives nice, maybe slightly off but so slight i dont care!. But the steering feels heavy, I attributed it to the 265's but I honestly think the pumps done for. Its leaking out front by the pulley according to this mechanic. Everything up front is good or new so I doubt anything is hanging up or binding.

So whatcha think? rebuild or buy new? New reman parts tend to not last as long as OEM Ive found, but then again bolting one on vs the rebuild is a time thing. Whatcha think? Or maybe I can throw a used one from a junk yard on or even just rebuild a yard one?
    Last edited by CJM; 10-16-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

If it's just the pump and you think it is fine try rebuilding it. It's a time thing but you'd have a factory part. Another thing to consider is how long you plan on keeping the truck. I know you've mentioned wanting to replace it here and there and if that is still the case maybe just throwing an aftermarket one in there would be fine.

If it were me and I put a rebuilt in there and had problems I'd always suspect that part. If it had a lifetime warranty, which that stuff seems to have, then pull it and get another. Issue is it may never be as good as the factory part was in better operating times.

Sorry, I've been no help.

I hear ya Mike. Ive been wanting to get a new truck for awhile, but due to the economy and the way my job went I didnt get the raise I was hoping for. Also it seems prices of trucks have skyrocketed, used 5-6 year old truck w/100k is still about 15k when the thing was 30k new. Ive wanted a smaller tundra for awhile but the frame rust issue they have is making me leery, its either that or been wanting an 07+ silverado.

I honestly dont have the time for the truck to really be down more than a day should something go wrong or not work out and then Im SOL. So the reality I decided is Im going to see if I can see where the exact leak is coming from. The seal in the front by the pulley is like 5 bucks and can be replaced easily, but if its more than that then I think Ill buy the cheaper cardone reman rockauto lists since I can swap it out in a few hours rather than rebuild and either assemble it wrong, something else goes, etc. I could always keep my pump since the reman cardone is only like 100 bucks and rebuild it in my spare time.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX