-Lincoln MKC
    -Nissan Rogue
    -Lexus NX
    -Mercedes-Benz GLA
    -Volvo XC60
    -Subaru Outback
    -Porsche Macan

What do you think is missing from their rating criteria?:
    "Design Advancement - The judges are looking for well-executed exterior and interior styling, innovative vehicle packaging, and good selection and use of materials.
    Engineering Excellence - Total vehicle concept and execution; clever solutions to packaging, manufacturing, and dynamics; and cost-effective technology that benefits consumers.
    Performance of Intended Function - How well the vehicle does the job its planners, designers, and engineers intended it to do.
    Efficiency - The judges consider fuel efficiency and carbon footprint size relative to the vehicle's competitive set.
    Safety - The judges take into account each vehicle's ability to help the driver avoid a crash, as well as the secondary safety measures that protect its occupants during an accident.
    Value - Each vehicle's price and equipment levels are compared with those of vehicles in the same market segment."

Hello? Off highway capability, where are you?! All of the SUVs in the test have a lower profile tire than any sedan or sports car I have ever owned.

I know it's a sign of the times, but I sure did enjoy the SUV of the Year tests back when they beat the piss out of them offroad doing hill climbs, light light crawling, high speed fireroad test and even jumped them.

Thankfully, there are people out there that are 'like us.' Motortrend posted an article asking "How should Toyota Improve the Next Generation 4Runner?" and there is lots of 3rd gen love in there. http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_totd_...n_4runner.html

Not surprised one bit on the changes over the last two decades.

Though I must say they've got some great "cars" in those mix! Wouldn't mind driving a few of those for fun.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times View Post
    Not surprised one bit on the changes over the last two decades.

Though I must say they've got some great "cars" in those mix! Wouldn't mind driving a few of those for fun.
    On the bright side, the trails we like won't be crowded by any of those...

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    I definitely chuckled when I thought about a new Tahoe on a trail.

Many things are not made as they were back in those days. I loved how all of the comments wanted a diesel as an option. I think that would be a great idea although expensive as hell.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    I would hope that's the case but I suspect the new ATV's that's hitting the market that's heavily modded will definitely fill in the void.

At any rate, they need to bring some foreign vehicles into the mix for testing. I can definitely a bunch of "more qualified" SUV's that'll definitely rock their scoring!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I just saw the new cherokee and it's a disgrace to the cherokee name.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

i would say buck the trend and go smaller. every year, the 4runner gets bigger and uglier. Esp the front end. WTH is up with these gigantic grills that look like Cyclons from Battlestar Galatica? The styling of the 5th gen Sport Edition was this generation's saving grace. All others with the big plastic-y bumpers are fugly beyond belief.

I'd say go with something more boxier like the 5th gen SE, get rid of the big plastic bumpers, something smaller and more nible, stick in a diesel with 5 or 6 speed manual transmission option, and stock clearance of the 96-00 4Runners (whatever the hell that was)

And a loud horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post

And a loud horn.
    Amen. The Cadillac trumpet horn package (4 horn) should be standard equipment.

I see the Rouge in there, where was the new Rav4 or the New CR-V? Those fit in the the broad category of 'SUVs' they have there.

Lance you are def hitting the nail on the head with the new ATVs clogging up the trails, now that most of them are tiny SUVs that are about the price of a new compact car.....

Bob hit the nail on the head of what would be nice to see, unfortunately, we may see half of that, such as the diesel option we have potential of seeing, as for the manual trans, I doubt it, with the way the world is going or at least the US with EPA standards, they are finding better gas mileage with the autos with 8-9 speeds or the CVTs

Louder horns FTW! I had a set of Cadillac Horns to put in the 4Runner, I had taken them out of my car while I was cleaning it out, forgot that I had put them in the path of the 4Runner, went to play musical cars and ran them over D'OH! Though i think I found another option as well for a loud horn, the Pontiac G8 has a very pronounced loud horn similar to the Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    I see the Rouge in there, where was the new Rav4 or the New CR-V? Those fit in the the broad category of 'SUVs' they have there.
    Believe it or not, those vehicles, including the 5th gen, didn't even make the cut to get a spot in the test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast