Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first welder (of my own)

My first welder (of my own)

Well due to cost and some other factors I finally settled on getting a stick welder and then after a couple more months of waiting, researching, reading, etc a deal came up that I am fairly certain I can't pass up.

It's a hobart stickmate 235/160 ac/dc arc welder and he's selling the whole setup for 450 which includes a helmet, gloves, rod, and a cart. Seems like a great deal and I can't wait to get my grubby paws on it.

Only thing I see as a limitation is the min. being 1/8" for thickness. What do you guys think? The welder is 550 new by itself.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

1/8" is the minimum material thickness that you can weld? I'd pass. 90% of what I weld is 0.060 tubing. It's cheap and light material, operative word being cheap. This is fencing, tables, work bench, roof rack, just misc stuff. Sure, for truck stuff you're going to be welding 1/8"-1/4", but after you're done with that, then what? The frame is thinner than 1/8".
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

You should be able to find a gently used might machine for that price. I'll post up when I get home tonight.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    1/8" is the minimum material thickness that you can weld? I'd pass. 90% of what I weld is 0.060 tubing. It's cheap and light material, operative word being cheap. This is fencing, tables, work bench, roof rack, just misc stuff. Sure, for truck stuff you're going to be welding 1/8"-1/4", but after you're done with that, then what? The frame is thinner than 1/8".
    I have found other welders that will do smaller but one of my issues is I can't have pressurized containers in my residence but I do have access to a welder that will do 1/16.

I am looking for a good auto helmet that is budget minded.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-23-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

If you're newer to welding and have projects lined up I'd go with a wire feed. For me they are much more forgiving and easier to work with. Most models will do flux core (no pressurized cylinders) and MIG in the same machine. There are many 120 and 220 versions out there.

I've got the Harbor Freight auto helmet and it's going on 7 years old. I've had zero problems with it and have been happy with the purchase. It is possible to save some money by getting all the gear but I'd focus on the machine first. The other stuff can be had for pretty cheap and sometimes that stuff is better to buy new.

I second the harbor freight auto helmet.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I guess I could save a few more pennies and just pick up this one. it will do all of the thicknesses I need and I don't have to run it off my dryer outlet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1413_200471413

Its a Hobart Handler 140 and while it doesn't come with everything it comes with enough to get started. It will do flux as well as mig. Those cylinders aren't cheap though. I could check with my local weldng store and see what they can do for renting a container since I won't be welding every day.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-23-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

smallest bottle from airgas was ~$100. I have that and now I can exchange it for another gas for just the cost of a fill. So once you are invested with them its a pretty good deal. I still run the flux anyhow for steel....it works

Check eBay and Craigslist for some good deal a on used equip. Some people buy it for a project and then sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Check eBay and Craigslist for some good deal a on used equip. Some people buy it for a project and then sell it.
    You're right about that. You could throw a rock and hit a no name Flux core welder lol.

I am after a piece of equipment I can use for years. There's a milleatic 210 for 1200.....but I don't want to spend that much honestly especially with as little experience as I have welding. If it starts making me some money like the monstaliner has (not much but a couple hundred a job) then I would consider a professional welder. I highly doubt this will be the case though.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast