Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My first welder (of my own)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Other than demolition work, I've used a sawzall to cut rebar, that's about it.
    I am starting with a grinder. The welder and helmet is going to be a big enough expense. I purchased a number of grinding disc packs and cutting wheel packs for dirt cheap. They are Dewalt branded
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I built my skidplates, rear bumper, roof rack and tons of other fab projects with just a 4.5" angle grinder, 1/2" corded drill, and my 220V welder.

I've had pretty good luck with the harbor freight cut off wheels and flap discs. As long as you avoid any thrust load on a cutoff wheel and only use the edge to cut with, you should be fine. They usually explode when people push them.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I went with a cheap 50 pack for cutting wheels for 25 bucks and free shipping. I haven't sprung for any flapper discs yet. I have never used them personally. I am getting a bench grinder at hb so I will check out the flapper while I am there.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

You'll definitely want to get a ton of flap discs to your collection. It'll come in handy to clean up the nastiness that happens from welding! HF is where I get my welding accessories so if you've got one nearby I say hit em up or find em cheaper online somewhere.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times View Post
    You'll definitely want to get a ton of flap discs to your collection. It'll come in handy to clean up the nastiness that happens from welding! HF is where I get my welding accessories so if you've got one nearby I say hit em up or find em cheaper online somewhere.
    It's over an hour to one where I am at. What's the price you get them for? I am planning one trip to civilization on black Friday (it's the wife not me) so I might as well get a bench grinder and some flap discs too.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I use flap discs but I really like sanding discs. Home Depot carries the Diablo brand and they are sanding discs the size of DVD's. I buy several packs of each grit I think I need. They usually come with the backing disc when you buy the package. Like the flap disc they remove scale and paint just not a ton of material like a grinding disc.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/diablo%25...520disc?NCNI-5

A nice thing about them is that they bend and flex around edges and fillets.

I've had great luck with this bench grinder.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-8-i...G828/204656720

Home depot is a lot closer than hb. Enough to make up the price difference of paying for gas down to harbor freight definitely.

I have been a fan of Rollo discs for removing paint prior to welding and cleaning metal. Not sure how they are on price bulk wise though.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Rollo discs? Do you mean Roloc discs?

https://www.google.com/search?q=roll...c+disc&spell=1

These are actually what I use the most but we were talking about grinders. My favorite and most used tool is my IR301 with Roloc pads and discs, hands down. It does require a compressor though so you'll be in it some more cash wise if you don't have one. I get the best results by using the 3" pads and discs on the 2" disc holder.

The consumables are spendy and there are so many different ones you can buy. I used to buy them on eBay and by the 100 and the prices seemed fair. It's been a couple years since I've last bought and the prices have now gone up a bit so I'm a bit more conservative. I've had best luck with 3M brand and I like the scotchbrite pads as well.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-03-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Rollo discs? Do you mean Roloc discs?

https://www.google.com/search?q=roll...c+disc&spell=1

These are actually what I use the most but we were talking about grinders. My favorite and most used tool is my IR301 with Roloc pads and discs, hands down. It does require a compressor though so you'll be in it some more cash wise if you don't have one. I get the best results by using the 3" pads and discs on the 2" disc holder.

The consumables are spendy and there are so many different ones you can buy. I used to buy them on eBay and by the 100 and the prices seemed fair. It's been a couple years since I've last bought and the prices have now gone up a bit so I'm a bit more conservative. I've had best luck with 3M brand and I like the scotchbrite pads as well.
    Yep those are the ones! lol. I usually use them with air tools at the hobby shop but seeing as I don't have 300-400 to throw around I am running them with this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a lot more powerful than a dremel running at 2 amps and since I am going to be doing mostly small projects I am not worried about overheating it. I have done worse to a dremel and it is still working just fine.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Started getting tools in today. Grinders, cutting discs, flux wire, clamps, and grinding discs all came in the mail today!

Hopefully the wife will let me order the welder and helmet here after black friday/cyber Monday stuff comes out. I really appreciate all the help you guys gave steering me towards a home shop setup. Since the hobby shop is shutting down maybe it will make me a small bit of cash after my welds don't look like nasty metal boogers lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234