Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first welder (of my own)

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    smallest bottle from airgas was ~$100. I have that and now I can exchange it for another gas for just the cost of a fill. So once you are invested with them its a pretty good deal. I still run the flux anyhow for steel....it works
    Hey that's really good! I can stomach 100 bucks after a 500 dollar splurge.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Feel like I should insert my foot somewhere but you guys brought up good points plus black Friday is soon upon us and there will be a sale of some sort. Plus it gives me more time to save cashola. I found a good helmet on amazon on sale and I'm waiting for gloves and a jacket when I can try them on.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

That Hobart model is a nice one and one I considered when I bought my Lincoln. I don't weld often and don't have 220v at the area I weld so I went with a 120 unit. I can and might add 220v to my work bench but in the 7 years I've owned my house I haven't needed it. I thought also that I would move into a bigger machine one day but still that hasn't come about.

My Lincoln is a 120v, 110amp (I think), flux core and MIG. I got it from a guy that used it twice in the 5 or so years he owned it. When I bought it I also bought his bottle but after I used it up I found it was expired/couldn't be filled and just turned it in for like $10 (to me). Cost and space was a consideration when I was thinking about buying or renting a tank. I have a spot in my garage for the large tank but it's not where I keep the welder or weld so I'd be disconnecting everything each time even for a quick tack or weld. I went home to think about it and 4 years later I'm still thinking.

I bought a few large spools of flux core at a welding shop on super sale and am still working through them years later. For the welding I do and frequency, the 120v, cost, space etc has been perfect. If I needed more power I'd be getting into projects I'm either not ready for or don't have the time for. Locally there are a ton of fab shops and I've got neighbors and friends with larger machines so my think about time is indefinite.

After a welder there are some tools you'd need to get rolling but over time you can pick those up. Get the HF helmet, some basic gloves at Home Depot or the like, I use my regular leather shop gloves most of the time, and a grinder. Angle grinders are nice for prep and finishing. You'll need cutting wheels, grinding wheels and maybe a knotted wire cup. I also use the sanding disks as they are flexible and give a better finish than a grinding wheel. After that chop saws and tubing notchers are nice depending on what you're building.

I'd sit down and think about what you might get into project wise. Where are you going to be doing the welding, etc. Factor in consumables and things like extension cords and gas fill ups if you go that route.

Been looking at grinders, slag hammers, c-clamps, and I have wire cup brushes.

As for projects what I have in mind I can do with a hobart 140. If I can practice and gain enough skill I would love to take a shot at making some armor but that's a goal for now.
    Harbor Freight is a ways away. I do have a tsc right down the road in yucca valley though. Of course amazon is how I get most of my stuff. Man that prime membership is a killer deal for me.

I appreciate all the insight that is given here as I am just getting started with having all my own tools and you guys have done this for years.

Next on the list will be an air compressor but that might be a while. Not sure I quite need one yet.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I hear good things about hobart.

Personally, I have 2 rules about harbor freight. No safety equipment and no precision equipment from them.

Armor is a good project to start with (other than the obligatory welding cart) because it's not really a structural safety item. It's not like a suspension part or trailer hitch where if they were to fail on the freeway you'd be in big trouble.

You'll need to get a cut off saw.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    I hear good things about hobart.

Personally, I have 2 rules about harbor freight. No safety equipment and no precision equipment from them.

Armor is a good project to start with (other than the obligatory welding cart) because it's not really a structural safety item. It's not like a suspension part or trailer hitch where if they were to fail on the freeway you'd be in big trouble.

You'll need to get a cut off saw.
    As far as projects (yes besides the cart)

-I want to make a bodyweight gym so I can finally work out at my house instead of running to it. I use the TRX so I need a pullup and dip station that is sturdy enough to take side pressures...maybe some monkey bars built in would be cool too.

-Modify my charcoal grill so I can use it to kind of smoke with (kinda vague on this one but I can't mess it up any more than it is already)

-Welding table. Nothing huge just 3x5' for moderate projects. Set it on wheels for mobility.

-Roof Rack and ladder

-Armor Sliders, belly pans, bumpers

-Control Arms ? Eh we shall see on that one.

-Camping Trailer

Besides that there are always brackets I wish I could make by welding

We shall see about the cut off saw immediately lol. My wife will be plenty hopping mad soon anyway and the chop saw might push her over the edge. Here's what I'm looking at at least for welding stuff all in one go (around black friday)

Antra auto-darkening helmet. Can't mess around with the eyes. I was almost blind for a good part of my life till PRK....so I take care of my eyes lol.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NEUAYZ4?psc=1

DeWalt 10amp angle grinder 4.5" disc. I trust DeWalt and haven't had an issue with their stuff ever.
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D28402K...=angle+grinder

I have clamps but not anything that will hold up to heat lol.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SBCI/...I1BV0T1RUZPQX2

I have some shop gloves I have welded with before and I see lots of welding jackets for 30 bucks. That in itself is almost 300 bucks in tools. We shall see what the holiday season has in store.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-23-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I have a chop saw and only used it a few times. Built everything with an angle grinder.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Tool wise angle grinders are your most used. You can cut and grind with them. I don't like the HF ones. I've owned 3 and never had one last more than 2 projects. All 3 were pitched in the trash years ago. I don't use my chop saw a ton but it's nice to have. So is a large bench grinder and for me a right angle pneumatic die grinder with Rol-Loc pads.

For the price of that Dewalt you can get the nice 4.5" Bosch 2 pack at Home Depot or homedepot.com when they go on sale. Like this (non sale price): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-7-5...M-2P/203066680

These come in handy: http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-23EL5-8-.../dp/B0000TFGFU
    Not the best pic but out of my vise grip tools I use welding these are the most handy. Other clamps that are useful are large C-clamps. I bought 4-4" and 4-8" (?) from Northern Tool and I use them to hold piece together and pieces to my table.

My welding cart is my welding table. I had two bed frames I took apart and used them to build the cart with a metal top and shelf mid way down. The shelf holds the welder and a box with my helmet, magnets, valves, tools, etc. The bottom is my scrap steel. The top is a piece of plate steel that I can weld on or use as a rolling heavy table.

Really? Man, I use my chop saw almost every time I break out the welder. I can't imagine not having it. The only time I use an angle grinder to cut something is long plate because I don't have a plasma or oxy acetylene torch to cut plate.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I use the chop saw for angle iron, tube and square tube. I've cut that all with a sawzall as well but if I can get away with the grinder I use it. Nothing against the chop saw though, I like all the sparks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast