Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first welder (of my own)

I am dual wielding grinders now too lol. One has a cut disk and the other has a flap disc. That saves me alot of time since I end up going back and forth constantly between the two. I've never felt the need for a chop saw, but I did borrow a band saw for my link tubes. http://www.roarksupply.com/ has pretty good deal on cut wheels.

Lucky today I decided to do the od clamp for my 1st gen rollbar mod. They are closing down all metal working at the hobby shop. Sadly I think the hobby shop itself is next. Someone apparently thinks that MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation) programs should turn a profit. Thanks for the tip on cutting wheels. Looks like I will be doing all my work at home now. Gotta get a floor jack and some bigger jack stands lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Definitely buy two angle grinders and set up like Troy suggested. You can do alot and save alot of time that way.

However, a chop saw is nice to have especially if you require some precision. I remember back in the days helping Lance w/ some bumper tubing projects and we spent more time grinding and filling large gaps caused by imprecise cutting w/ the angle grinders. And those large gaps were filled with weld. Looked ugly and then you have to take the flap disc to them.

Lance eventually got a chop saw. I was instantly pissed---all that manual labor over the years and that chop saw made things exponentially easier in terms of the time and effort to get the right cuts and to minimize all the extraneous grinder jury rigging cuts!

I'm looking on Craigslist for a bench grinder, chop saw, and angle grinder. For as little use as they will see I have a better chance at getting quality tools for less and when/if they break I can replace with better/new
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-27-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    I've never felt the need for a chop saw, but I did borrow a band saw for my link tubes.
    I'd love to get a big floor bandsaw if I can ever find the room in my garage, although not something I'd recommend as a first tier set of tools.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I constantly struggle with the desire/need for tools versus space in my garage. My garage is a 2-car and at this precise moment in time, I have two cars in there, but barely. I have thought about starting a garage/tools thread, as I need inspiration for garage re-org.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    I constantly struggle with the desire/need for tools versus space in my garage. My garage is a 2-car and at this precise moment in time, I have two cars in there, but barely. I have thought about starting a garage/tools thread, as I need inspiration for garage re-org.
    I like that idea. I did my own shelving and hung some stuff from the ceiling but that's it.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So I'm really torn at this point. I found a sawsall and I found a true chop saw. I'm not getting both right now so it's either flexibility with some accuracy sacrifice or great measured cuts with no flexibility and way more expensive blades. Both are Milwaukie brand tools so I'm not worried about quality.
    The angle grinder I am getting is Milwaukee as well. Great prices too. Going to pick up a bench grinder from hb while I am down the hill. Their 8" model has great reviews.

Also I am buying the welder brand new. I figure this is the way to do this right as I suck so bad at welding I couldn't tell you if the damn thing is working right or not....so I will practice....probably with Flux in the driveway.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 11-01-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I hardly ever use my sawsall. The only time I've used it is for trimming my palm tree.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Other than demolition work, I've used a sawzall to cut rebar, that's about it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast