Thread: Anyone have experience with aftermarket headlight housings?

Anyone have experience with aftermarket headlight housings?

both of my headlight are flopping around now. I haven't investigated too much but I suspect that are broken at the adjusters since that seems to be the norm. I found some cheap 99 style lights for ~$45 each, but I'm a little nervous they wont hold up to the beatings. Reviews are all across the board for what I can find. Do any of you have a aftermarket housing?

http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-4Runner...productDetails

I have the TYC's. They are crap. Both CAME broken. I have glued them up as best as possible but they are still crap.

Find out what is broken. That clip that usually breaks can be substituted, or I have a few clips from my TYCs you can likely have (about the only thing that isn't broken on them!) The stock housings (both the black base and the tan/grey reflector part) are far superior to aftermarket, so keep them if you can.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Crap its the tyc's that were getting the best reviews. Thanks for the info. I'll dive in and put my jb weld skills to the test lol
    Last edited by troyboy162; 10-25-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Take some pics of what's broken.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I don't believe there is a single aftermarket headlight that is any good. I went OEM when one of mine got a rock through it after Scottiac bitched about the adjusters on his aftermarket ones. He ended up pulling the trigger on OEM ones later.

From what I've heard is that the outout pattern on aftermarket housings are no where near as good as factory units. Scottiac was driving the speed limit and was saying he was out driving the light. They seem like decent housings for projector retrofits as you aren't using the reflector but if the adjusters are problems you have to get it right the first time. Email DeathCougar. He might have what you need at a decent price. He seems to be my go to guy for used stuff.

Anything aftermarket is crap, two sets and they both suck, I will be shooting to get OEM eventually, holding out for a 99+ in a pick and pull to get more stuff on mine upgraded lol.

Like Mike said, the only good thing the aftermarket are good for is projector housings.

Even the glass on the TYCs is brittle and crumbly!

such a bummer lol. I wanted a cheap quick fix with better light output (aka 99 style) Guess its glue time. I looked at the lights again breifly yesterday to make sure they weren't going to fall out. I see a broken adjuster and a adjuster thats worked its way out too far. I should be good to go after some JB welding.